502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fuck another civic!!!
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a b16a swap in a 91 ef and the transmission is still cable but i am having problems with it. going into third fourth and fifth it is grinding just a lil bit but if i press in the clutch twice before the shift then it wont grind at all. Could u give me any possibilities to wat the problem may be and the prices to each one?? Thanks

·
1,825 Posts
when all goes bad, used tranny for a few hundred, lol...

kinda sounds like synchros to me, but ill let people that know hondas inside and out speak, because i've never owned a cable tranny...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Why don't you boys leave the troubleshooting to Bill, since this is posted in the AutoLab section?

·
Happiness is a Pint away
5,193 Posts
if you have grinds in that many different gears the damage has been done to the trans and you would be better off buying a used trans for the car. We generally tell people they can expect to pay around $200-300 per grind, you have 3 grinds so you can do the math. A good used cable B16 trans, while a lot more than a few hundred, is typically around $500-650 these days.

The problem is not a clutch disengagement issue, as some have suggested trying to bleed the system, even though it is a cable type trans and they were mistaken. On your car adjusting the clutch cable has the same effect as bleeding a hydraulic system on a newer Honda. Either way if this was a disengagement problem you would have a hard time going into ALL gears or grinding into ALL gears. Not just a select few like youre describing.

To prevent this from happening again after you get a new tranny, I would suggest making sure the engagement is adjusted correctly. Also use a good quality clutch, NOT anything thats rebuilt around here. An OEM replacement or Exedy stg1 are both great street clutches for 90% of the guys around here with Hondas. You also want to make sure the flywheel has been machined properly. Use a quality machine shop that can look up the correct 'step' on the flywheel. They have to machine both steps on the flywheel or the clutch will not disengage properly. Lastly, make sure you use Honda MTF. I can not tell you how many idiotic backyard e-mechanics bring cars or trannys in here complaining about grinds and they have been using GM fluid or gear oil. DO NOT PUT GEAR OIL IN YOUR HONDA TRANNY! I dont care what the internet tells you, I dont care what your buddy runs in his car, I dont care what the forums say. Gear oil kills the Honda trannys ability to properly operate the synchros and hub/sleeve sets. They were machined for motor oil, or preferably Honda MTF.

HTH

-bill

·
fuck another civic!!!
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well this is the same ef thats silver that you all did the b16 swap in for brad and i was just wondering if you new for sure wat the problem was cuz he said he had brought it up there to u all before

·
retired
3,377 Posts
the case got busted because the cars too low so it has no fluid and it wont hold any, it just rolls out

·
Happiness is a Pint away
5,193 Posts
we did not do the swap in that car and now that I know what car it is then yes your problem is from the case being cracked on the bottom from the car sitting so low. That trans barely holds any fluid.

·
fuck another civic!!!
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok how much is it to replace and or fix that problem.... can it be welded back together

·
back at it again
7,198 Posts
id say just have them replace it because theres already damage done with running it with no fluid so instead of wasting your time and theirs just have them install a new one or completely rebuild that one and weld the case up

·
Happiness is a Pint away
5,193 Posts
Theres no welding on the case, a big chunk is missing where a bolt goes.

I'll have to start looking for a trans, from a reputable distributor they are getting harder to find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts