502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Ad maiorem Dei gloriam
8,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really that bad?

Before Christmas all I heard on the news was how bad the market was going to be and that retail was going to go down the tubes.
Lo and behold, as Christmas actually came and went, I remember hearing that it was actually better than last year!..Of course that was quickly followed by how we all paid for it on credit cards so the economy is still a shit hole, right?

As for the value of the dollar, looking at the prices of a lot of things internationally, it costs someone else outside the US more USD to buy something than it does us here. For example, lets say a camera is sold at cost here for $3000 USD and in the UK for 2000 GBP. What this tells me is that the camera maker over in Japan only wants 3000 USD coming from America for their product but that they want 4000USD (in the form of GBP) for the exact same thing from the UK. Now, to me, it seems like they value the USD higher than the GBP if they require less of it for the same product.

I just dont get it. All you hear about it how bad the market is, sub-prime "lending crunches", and the falling value of the dollar.
In the mean time, my sales were up higher than last year, online sales were higher than last year, I still see tons of people buying and selling homes, the stock market continues to climb, and everything seems to be going good.

If someone could please expound upon any flawed thinking I may have or just voice their opinion on it all, Id appreciate it.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Well as far as the camera example goes. I don't know where you saw the price for $3000 USD and $2000 GBP. Most reputable website will have only one price. I have bought things online that cost pounds (British), but I used my credit card and it converted at (market rate) from the cost in pounds to the cost in USD. Which is definitely more. The US dollar is far below value than the Euro and pound. I don't think anyone can argue that the economy is in a good place. It may not be the worst market ever, but it's definitely not a bull market.

·
Keeping it real
9,573 Posts
Every economy has it's up and downs. It's like working in a factory producing something, some days are good some are not. However, stops have been put in place in our economy to prevent a stock market crash or an economical disaster. We are an asset to too many countries for something like that to happen.

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
i dont know what retailer you're refering to but all walgreens besides a few out of the 20+ stores in this district (from what i heard) ...we're all down from the year before.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The "failing housing market" is about 75% media driven. Yes, there are TONS of foreclosures and sub-prime loans defaulting, but.. If the media wasn't constantly telling the average un-informed citizen how bad it is, people would buy homes and it would recover quickly. Interest rates are low, and going lower, plus there is plenty to choose from.

·
Thread Killer
6,768 Posts
I know what you mean about business being up. Our business is up right now to. Our customers business is up and UPS and FedEx are expanding (I know this because the are the primary customers that spark our chain of business). If the shipping companies are doing good then that can only tell me that other businesses are doing well also and are shipping out more. Retailers may be suffering but it seems online businesses are doing well.

·
Ad maiorem Dei gloriam
8,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well as far as the camera example goes. I don't know where you saw the price for $3000 USD and $2000 GBP. Most reputable website will have only one price. I have bought things online that cost pounds (British), but I used my credit card and it converted at (market rate) from the cost in pounds to the cost in USD. Which is definitely more. The US dollar is far below value than the Euro and pound. I don't think anyone can argue that the economy is in a good place. It may not be the worst market ever, but it's definitely not a bull market.
You need to reread my post. I know it costs more to buy something with GBP...thats my point. The manufacturer is asking LESS USD from us than they are from the UK and its GBP equivalent.

·
Ad maiorem Dei gloriam
8,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont know what retailer you're refering to but all walgreens besides a few out of the 20+ stores in this district (from what i heard) ...we're all down from the year before.
you work at walgreens...

·
Premium Member
26,373 Posts
You need to reread my post. I know it costs more to buy something with GBP...thats my point. The manufacturer is asking LESS USD from us than they are from the UK and its GBP equivalent.
You're not factoring in VAT, etc..

·
#girlslikeus
15,907 Posts
5 years ago, the euro and the dollar were pretty much equal. Today it takes $1.47 to make one euro. Something not quite right with that.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
the high end automobile repair shops have gone down hill in terms of volume during the past 12 months.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts