502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
80's car fanatic
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well since last weekend when i got the sport trac stuck on the frame the rear end has been whining
so i finally get to looking at the bottom of the truck and the rear axle has fluid dripping out of it...
looks like its coming out the front seal of it where the u joint/yoke go into the pumpkin :mad:
well i do have a 2 year drivetrain warranty on the truck
maybe they wont realize i offroad it and fix it? :madrun:

edit: from what ive researched its the pinion seal

·
#girlslikeus
15,907 Posts
if you submerged the diff, you probably got water and mud into the vent. when the pull the plug and a layer of muddy water comes out, i'm sure they'll send you a bill.

·
80's car fanatic
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what ive read yeh the vent tube got clogged and it all pushed out the pinion seal
the fluid dripping out is clean though
from what ive read even if they do charge me its a $8 part and a hour of work, easy fix, whew!

·
80's car fanatic
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update:
actually i took it to ford this week
the pinion seal is leaking but its because the pinion bearing has wore out and messed up the pinion so now i need new pinion and ring gears, bearings and seals...
BUT its covered by warranty :)
i dont think the Sport Trac will be hitting mud holes anymore
maybe some trails but no more mud
i got a little carried away last time i went out

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
lets go somewhere this weekend (saturday)

·
pavement sucks.
12,784 Posts
update:
actually i took it to ford this week
the pinion seal is leaking but its because the pinion bearing has wore out and messed up the pinion so now i need new pinion and ring gears, bearings and seals...
BUT its covered by warranty :)
i dont think the Sport Trac will be hitting mud holes anymore
maybe some trails but no more mud
i got a little carried away last time i went out
built ford tough. :rolleyes:

my 34 year old K5 has been to the rockers in mud many times, and drives beautifully down the highway at 70mph.

Extend your vent tubes into the bed in the rear and into the engine bay in the front. A proper seal and high mounted vent will prevent that from happening in the future.

·
80's car fanatic
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im not even sure if it was the vent tube getting clogged
when i pulled the tube off to clean it, it realy didnt seem clogged but the tube on the outside was pretty dirty
itll be in the shop for a while
its a aftermarket warranty, service agreement type thing
so i have to wait for the warranty place to agree to pay for it and then have the work done, but the dealer i bought it at said that itll get paid for no problem
they didnt say anything about the tires
they said it would only void it if i had a suspension lift or something that changed the driveshaft angle

·
Registered
233 Posts
The tube might not have gotten clogged, but it might have been short enough to take in water. I think that is why Alex was saying to lengthen it.

·
80's car fanatic
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well they got all the work done
seems when ford replaced the clutches in the differential under warranty for the original owner they didnt put the carrier back together right or something so i needed a new one of those too
total ended up being right at 2k
glad i only had to pay a deductable of 100
guess my service agreement paid off after all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts