502 Street Scene Forums banner

Project " dzldlx"

10K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  airfoxten 
#1 ·
Howdy

Fairly straightforward swap, been done many times. Just not by me haha.

Ok, a little back story. I flipped my 11 gti after hitting some black ice. I purchased this 93 dlx toyota pickup truck after I got the insurance settled, as a daily driver/beater until I'm ready to buy a newer diesel truck. Well, they guy mud have forgotten to tell me about the leaking head gasket, stripped spark plug holes, and 90w oil he put in to hide the bottom end noise..

Long story short, I found a 1.9 tdi motor from a 98 jetta at a good price, and I need an engine. Win win. I'll be purchasing an adapter kit from acme adapters, fabricating my own mounts, wiring the truck to retain obd2 diagnostics, and eventually a nice tune to beef up the power output.

My target budget is around 2k to get it driving. Once that is accomplished, who knows from there..

I'll try to keep pictures and descriptions updated as I work, my goal is to have this completed and driving within a month. With my work schedule, 72 hr weeks, it's going to be tough but I think I'll make it happen.

Anyway, not a lot of pics yet, but this is said truck:

Thanks for looking

See less See more
#29 ·
One step at a time haha. Tentative-ish timeframe for up and running/driving is first or second week of march. Still have a ton of stuff to do.

Off the top of my head:

-Finish mounts
-Fab trans mount on crossmember to move it forward
-Run fuel lines
-Intercooler and tubing
-Wire in ecm connections to ignition, engine, speedo, etc.
-Input shaft bearing on trans
-Rear main, oil pan, and valve cover seals, as well as timing belt job on new motor.

I appreciate the motivation, it keeps me going.

#30 · (Edited)
I got some more time yesterday and today to wokr on the truck. Most of the day was spent pulling pieces off the new motor and cleaning out a ridiculous amount of soot buildup. The previous owner apparently didnt drive this thing but a mile or two each way wherever they were going.

Intake manifold inlet @ butterfly

Intake port in head

I got the engine and trans bolted together to see what kind of fitment issues i will run into, and its really not too bad. I either need to drop the front differential 1.5-2", or massage the oil pan and modify the oil pickup tube. I will probably drop the differential due to the torsion bars being cranked up a few turns.

As you can see, there is plenty of room for any plumbing, coolers, fans, etc in front of the engine. Much shorter than the 22re.

This is why i need to move the engine and trans forward about 2.5". There appears to be more room than there actually is. Moving the engine/trans to factory position leaves 1/2" between the outlet and firewall.

The rear coolant port also houses three coolant heater plugs, gotta love quick heat in the winter.. People have gotten away with modifying the outlet elbowand see about 1/3" clearance, but I'd like more than 1/3" between my firewall and coolant hose personally. It will be worth it to move it forward, not much more work since im already fabricating my own mounts.

#33 ·
Got some time today to work on the mounts some more. The hardest part was figuring out where to put the driver side mount. Kind of a pain, but I think i've got a good spot for it. I went with 3/16" because I have to leave one side open to access the bolt on the underside of the mount. Anyway, here's what i've got.
Driver side

passenger side

The bottom tab coming off the bottom will be removed to fit it higher up on the original mount. The mounts obviously will sit on the top side of these.

Also, notched out the pan and reloacted the drain plug to the "new" rear side of the pan. The pickup tube wouldnt allow the notch, so I put an angle on it to move it about an 1.5".

Before

After

All i've got for today. I'm bringing a welder home tomorrow to weld up the mounts to the frame, fabricate the transmission mount and weld it in. Maybe patch the rear fram if I have the time.

#35 ·
Thanks, it looks like everything will fit with a good amount of clearance. I got the mounts welded to the frame today. Also completed what will hopefully be the final assembly of the engine and trans with a new oe clutch. I'll be on shift tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have the engine side of the mounts made and everything sitting in its final resting place by the end of the weekend.

#36 ·
I've had very little time to work on the truck, but I have managed to get some stuff done when I could find a minute. I got to use the shop at my old work again, gotta love having an awesome guy as a former boss.

I cut the intake manifold in half, eliminating the egr all together, and welded in a 2 1/4" aluminum tube that I put a heavy angle cut on to make it as low porfile as possible. It clears the hood, where before it did not.

This is the top half... That pencil ish size dark spot us the only opening in the from the manifold inlet.. This is why we eliminate egr.. jesus.

Also got the engine mounts for the engine side of things finished, they are probably way overkill for what i'm doing, but they'll do for sure.

Driver side

Passenger side

#37 · (Edited)
The passenger side mount is two pieces against the block because the mounting holes aren't the same level or angle. Looks shitty, but it has a third vertical support in the center of the mount. They are all 3/16" steel.

Also, my remote oil filter setup seemed to have a common fault among the online community. The NPT threads seem to leak pretty bad, so I took care of that before I had the problem.

And lastly, I got my trail gear driveline spacer in. Moving the engine and trans forward put the rear driveshaft at its max extension.

#38 ·
Sorry for no updates lately. I didnt give up or forget, I got t-boned in my mom's vehicle I happened to be driving.. It was my transportation while I saved some down payment for a new vehicle, so I was forced to make a purchase.. I ended up picking up a 2014 Focus ST. I'm in love with it so far.

Anyway. On to what you're here to see..

Ive made some decent progress I think. Obviously the engine is in, trans and all bolted up. Radiator and intercooler are in, nust need to make two retaining clips for the top to hold it upright. I drew up a basic program in solidworks and sent it to the guys at metal supermarkets to cut on their cnc plasma table. They happened to have a diamond plate piece of aluminum in the remnant section. Wasn't upset to spend the 30$. Also, most of the cooling hoses are about finished. I ended up retaining the oil cooler for ease of lower hose routing and I figure that the engine will be working a bit harder in the truck, so it wuldnt be a bad idea.

I used some factory mounts, flipped them, and welded a new piece of flat steel to mount the radiator and intercooler on.

I modified the trans crossmember to move the mount forward 3", and ran into a problem i should have seen before, but did not. The transfer case sits on the crossmember now. I'll be pulling it back off, reinforcing the new mount, and notching the crossmember to clearance the transfer case.

Next problem I had to address was the rusted out fuel lines.. I ended up using brass fittings and brake lines with two copper washers to sandwich the original fuel pump mounting plate. Then attached the brake lines to the underside as draw tubes. Also drained the fuel tank. Not to self, gasoline tastes aweful. No matter how cool it looks, kids, do not siphon fuel using your mouth.

And with hoses and pump nearly complete.

And last for the day, I started on the downpipe. Its almost finished, just needs a flange on the end and some -alot of- heat wrap. Keeing true to toyota stock appearance as much as possible, I decided to route it behind the engine and down the factory location. There's about a half inch clearance between the firewall and downpipe and a little less in the front. I may bend the oil feed line to the turbo and move the downpipe forward just a bit to avoid heat on the firewall as much as possible.

And where it comes down on the driver side. It looks alot tighter than it is.
[/QUOTE]

#44 ·
Hahaha knew it would be coming before long. I'm still working on it, working on a couple wiring mix ups. Plus I bought a rental house so I've been replacing a lot of stuff in it so this has been put a bit on the back burner I'll admit. I haven't posted any pics lately but the exhaust is finished, the intercooler tubing is finished, the intake tube is finished. The transmission crossmember was hitting the trans since I moved it up, it's been notched and solid flat steel welded in. I need to mount the oil filter housing and route the hoses and finish the wiring. After it's running I'm going to pick up some eqqus gauges for the speedo, temp, boost, etc. This project will live, I promise you.

#45 ·
Alright for anyone who is still even interested in this, I've got some updates. It's been a long while, lots of things getting in the way of actually working on this; medical issues, extra shifts at work, yadda yadda.

My photobucket is screwing me bad, but ITS ALIVE.. So I have no video, yet, but I'll post up a pic of the smoke plume from the first start up.

All she need now to be road worthy are gauges, coolant reservoir mounted and filled, and loose wires tied back in the wire loom. Hopefully progress will be a little steadier from here on out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.