502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

Fairly straightforward swap, been done many times. Just not by me haha.

Ok, a little back story. I flipped my 11 gti after hitting some black ice. I purchased this 93 dlx toyota pickup truck after I got the insurance settled, as a daily driver/beater until I'm ready to buy a newer diesel truck. Well, they guy mud have forgotten to tell me about the leaking head gasket, stripped spark plug holes, and 90w oil he put in to hide the bottom end noise..

Long story short, I found a 1.9 tdi motor from a 98 jetta at a good price, and I need an engine. Win win. I'll be purchasing an adapter kit from acme adapters, fabricating my own mounts, wiring the truck to retain obd2 diagnostics, and eventually a nice tune to beef up the power output.

My target budget is around 2k to get it driving. Once that is accomplished, who knows from there..

I'll try to keep pictures and descriptions updated as I work, my goal is to have this completed and driving within a month. With my work schedule, 72 hr weeks, it's going to be tough but I think I'll make it happen.

Anyway, not a lot of pics yet, but this is said truck:

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
9,306 Posts

·
I love my jessipooh.
609 Posts
Sounds good jeep us updated

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flatl1ne, I agree. In these parts, it is a bit of a unicorn. The fact that you picked one so flamboyant shows that you put a lot of your personality into your posts. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
A unicorn is a mythical creature that only exists in the imagination - just like this "build".

It's my reaction when people post a picture of a broken hunk of shit then tell everyone their grand delusional upgrade plans and call it a "build thread".

Build first. Then post pics.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Difference is, I'm not some broke high school kid with a dsm or shit Honda with dreams of a 800hp drag car that I've got a cai and exhaust on. I have my own place to do it, Ive been a mechanic professionally for going on 8 years, I do research and create a realistic budget to accomplish what I'm setting out for.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bs thread by a 17 yr old kid who plans a 7k$ build but doesn't even pay for their own gas. I understand the skepticism. But I'm not that guy.

Also I plan on updating as I go, like I said. It helps me because some people know a lot more about these engines or trucks than I do. They may notice things or offer suggestions that would make this easier or give me less heartache.

Either way, it will go on with or without hate, so hate away..

·
4 out of 5 women agree
1,810 Posts
Don't take it personal man. It's just that of the 1000 build threads that get started here exactly like yours maybe 1 or 2 have ever been completed.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok, not much progress besides gathering necessary parts. Went on a trip up to Dayton this morning and picked up these lovely pieces. 85k mile Full swap from a 98 jetta. Engine code ahu I got the fuse block, ECM, motor, all harnesses, even the drive-by-wire pedal and sending unit. It also came with the matching cluster from the swap car.

A few pics of the goods.

All I have for now. Ordering my adapter plate from acme tomorrow. Hopefully it will be in by Friday. I'd like to have the motor and trans pulled by the time it gets here.

I'll be on a 48 at the firehouse so there won't be anything else til at earliest Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a decent amount of time to work on the truck today, got the wiring harness marked for splicing into the factory harness where necessary.

Got the engine and trans unbolted, and on the way out.. Ran into an unforseen issue.. I was about an inch from clearing the oil pan over the radiator support and it touched cieling...

A little quick thinking and she was on the way out. Note to anyone picking a 22re by themselves with an engine hoist : Don't do it. Not fun at all.

One of the dirtiest engine bays ive ever work in..

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, I've been waiting on some parts to come in.. They finally arrived.

Acme adapter for 4 cyl vw to 4 cyl toyota trans. Kit includes redrilled toyota flywheel, oilite pilot bushing, adapter plate, and new hardware.

Ive also been wrangling with the harness. Trimming excess wires from the headlight, fog light, etc harness.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, no pictures, but I got the bed off to assess the frame rust, and was actually not as bad as I thought. Some simple removal and reinforcement by the rear spring mounts is all I'll need. I ordered my remote fuel filter mount and my remote oil filter kit, in search of a viable local option for fuel delivery hose. Also got my timing belt/tensioner kit in for the new engine. I'm on a 48 hr shift today and tomorrow, but I'll make some better progress Monday and Tuesday. If anyone is free, contact me and come drink my beer. Should be fixing frame rust, mating engine/trans, and test fit/ mount fabrication.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, got a few updates..

Got more parts in, remote fuel filter mount for the frame rail and my oil filter relocation kit. Not pictured are the 3/8" hard and soft lines to run the fuel feed and return.

Also, pulled the truck out, cleaned up the bay and rear frame as good as i could before i froze my hands off. Also removed the a/c compressor, and mounted the adapter plate.

I pulled the intake off of the turbo, and the wheel wouldnt even spin... ****.. So I pulled off the downpipe to find this:

It was so much build up, I couldnt fathom how this engine even pulled the car. Anyway, with some pb, a little elbow grease, etc the fins loosened up the crud that was in them and it spins pretty good now. I also found that once i broke the trans loose from the 22re, the input shaft bearing is toast, so that will need to be addressed before it grenades itself on the first drive.. Ill be mating the tdi and trans together for the time being to fabricate my mounts and such since I still havent decided which clutch setup im going to run yet. It will probably be a replacement stocker until i get a tune and turn this puppy up. Ill be working all night and all day tomorrow if anyone cares to join, just shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry about the mass update. A little forgetful sometimes, and don't want to get ahead of myself, flatl1n3 might get upset ;)

Just realized the damn pictures are upside down. I'm going to try and fix that now...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts