502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Pontiac GTO owners on here? How does this car handle in the corners? Is this more of a muscle car for strait line racing or is it more pure than this and can handle the twisty roads?

·
Tactical Espionage Action
7,442 Posts
Pontiac GTO vs. Subaru STi Comparison Test
Introduction

By Ed Hellwig, Senior Editor
Date posted: 05-26-2005

Browse through the 700-plus cars available on Gran Turismo 4, and you'll find only one Gran Turismo Omologato. That's GTO if you're under 30. Scroll down to GT4's Subaru WRX section, however, and you'll find 12 versions of the STi. That's Subaru Technica International if you're over 40.

Sony knows its audience, but come on, guys, let's give credit where credit is due. In 1964, the Pontiac GTO was the first production car to demonstrate that adding massive horsepower to a smaller, otherwise innocuous car can be a recipe for greatness.

Although drastically different in their design and execution, the 2005 Pontiac GTO and the 2005 Subaru WRX STi both employ this time-tested formula. Think about it. Subaru took its lowly Impreza, added a turbocharged engine, a stiffer suspension and a little extra bodywork and, suddenly, every male under the age of 25 is trading in his girlfriend for one. Sounds like a modern-day GTO to us.

The new GTO takes a more traditional route. Like its legendary ancestors, it's a coupe with classic muscle car credentials like a big V8, rear-wheel drive and a long hood/short deck design. Although it's built in Australia, it's so American it makes Tommy Franks look like a Communist.

Sure, conventional wisdom says if you like one, you wouldn't even consider the other, but we think otherwise. Our test cars stickered eight dollars apart and are, apart from Ford's bargain-priced Mustang GT, the most powerful rides on the market in their price range. If you want to go as fast as possible without taking out a second mortgage, one of these cars just might be the ticket. Deciding which one is a matter of how you like your speed delivered.

Let the showdown begin.

Attractive Opposites
With four doors, standard all-wheel drive and peaky turbocharged power, the WRX STi turns the muscle car moniker on its head. It may have just a 2.5-liter, four-cylinder engine, but with 300 horsepower, 300 pound-feet of torque and a six-speed manual transmission it's got specs that impress.

For 2005, Subaru has fortified the STi with a new helical limited-slip differential up front, a thicker sway bar in back and lightweight aluminum rear lateral links. The steering rack also received a stiffer mount, a tighter ratio and an auxiliary fluid cooler. The interior got a makeover, too, with improved climate controls and reskinned seats. Our test car also featured a short-throw shifter, titanium shift knob and auxiliary boost gauge.

The GTO also received upgrades for 2005, including 50 more horsepower from a new 400-hp, 6.0-liter LS2 V8, bigger brakes, dual exhaust and a much needed set of hood scoops. The only option is a six-speed manual transmission and thankfully our test car had it.

They're both comfortable enough to drive every day, but unless you drive the tires off them you won't fully appreciate their true capabilities. With that in mind we ripped them through our favorite back roads and pushed them to their limits at the test track. With their garish spoilers and gaping hood scoops, the reactions of onlookers, passengers and anyone else who heard us coming were also noted for good measure.

Conclusion
On paper, the GTO looked tough to beat. A 400-hp small-block V8, six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive — what more do you need? But the more we drove these cars on the edge, the more we realized that the STi was the real deal. It held its own on the drag strip and flat-out smoked the GTO through the slalom. Plus its backseats come with doors. On the street, more than one editor noted that when it comes to raw, unfiltered feel, it's the Subaru that delivers over the more refined GTO. Add in the STi's higher-quality interior and usable trunk and it's the Subaru that gets our $33K.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxFZZyO44jo

edmonds full test http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcont...546543/roadtestarticle.html&articleId=101578#

·
soon to be turboed
1987 Chevy R10
2,704 Posts
i love the way the gto handles its got enough power to do almost anything you want, if you ask me its a pretty well rounded car.

·
Slow
2,433 Posts
When it first came out again i always heard it handled great. But thats just what i heard. It is a pig, 3800lbs.

·
I'm back
2,929 Posts
When it first came out again i always heard it handled great. But thats just what i heard. It is a pig, 3800lbs.
Nah, not 3800. My car weighed in a 3700 on the dot with a ton of crap in the back seat.

Back OT. My car handles far better than my Camaro SS or my Mach 1 did. It doesn't have a lot of body roll like most bigger cars and it's hard as fuck to get one to spin out. I've never had a problem taking curves well about the speed limit.

Ninja edit: For what the car is it handles way better than you think it would. It's not some little fwd car or roadster built for handling.

·
MTV Please pimp my ride
696 Posts
Its a great car to start with wheather your wanting raw straight line power or handling - of course some aftermarket mods can take it way further in either direction. Very happy with my 06 GTO thus far.

·
something clever?
5,810 Posts
Other thoughts of mine; I didnt' like it when I test drove it. Lazy power is a very accurate description. I find ringing the shit out of a 100 hp miata more enjoyable,......

....... and more embarassing :hsdance:

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
IN your last thread, you said you thought 350Z's were heavy, and GTO's weight almost 400 lbs more than a 350Z.... Granted they have more power, but I was under the impression you were looking for a lighter weight car...?

·
I'm back
2,929 Posts
I didnt' like it when I test drove it. Lazy power is a very accurate description. I find ringing the shit out of a 100 hp miata more enjoyable, and more embarassing :hsdance:
Prolly due to the gearing why it feels lazy.

Edit: My 4th gear prolly tops out close to what the Miata's 5th gear does. :)

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
because power sliding is fast :eek:

·
Administrator
10,475 Posts
IN your last thread, you said you thought 350Z's were heavy, and GTO's weight almost 400 lbs more than a 350Z.... Granted they have more power, but I was under the impression you were looking for a lighter weight car...?
Yes. I told him to look at GTOs though because he keeps saying he wants to buy an RX-8. If you are going to get a car that size it might as well have some balls to go with it, see GTO. This would also make the 350Z a consideration but price could be an issue there.

A lot of what a person gets is by feel. Just as Peanut said ringing out the small 100hp motor feels better. Other people like torque and low end grunt. The RX-8 has the smaller motor feel and revs very freely. I haven't driven one but I'd imagine if you were going to get an underpowered car the Miata would be more fun overall than the RX-8 but the feel in each could be similar. They both handle very well and have high reving motors. The RX-8 could be his choice because of the added space you get and that is why I say drive a GTO to compare.

·
something clever?
5,810 Posts
I would have a GTO over an RX8 seven days a week. I test drove both in January of last year. While neither turned out to be quite right for me, the lack of power in the RX8 was astonishing.. as was the lack of joy that comes from hammering it.

If the rx8 wasn't such a dog, there would be one in my driveway, cause I think they're hawt (and a baby seat fits ;) )\

Cliffnotes; GTO > RX8

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you live anywhere near Jeff you can ride up and I'll take you for a ride in mine.... Redrocker did and 3 days later he bought one

·
Driving Slow
7,356 Posts
Like the Edmunds test states. After driving the STi, the '-05 GTO feels like you are driving a car with flat tires. I drove an '04 when I was in the market and it really did feel like a boat. I don't know if they changed since then.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts