502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked me the other day to post some good pics of me reconing a sub, so when I had to do my RD Audio Elite SPL for my girlfriend, it seemed a great time to snap some pics for the people whom have been interested in doing this themselves one day soon on their own driver.

Materials for use in recone -
Drill with Phillips head bit
Soldiering iron with soilder
Bob Smith IC-2000 Tough Black Rubberized CA Glue - http://www.bsiadhesives.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html
Bottle of Acetone
Bottle of Aircraft Paint Stripper Gel
Index cards bought at walmart
Recone kit of your choice

I didnt take any pictures of the really nasty part of the recone - stripping the sub.. This would of been just removing the old CA glue off of the basket. All I did to do this was buy some Aircraft paint stripper gel at Walmart and painted the chemical over the old crusty surround leftovers and let it sit overnight. In the morning, most of the material had bubbled up and a small metal wire brush was just used to abrasively clean off the black goo residue. I did NOT scrape, beat, or gouge the basket with a screwdriver or metal brush in order to get any of the material off. After stripper has been applied and let sit, the removal shouldnt be that hard to mechanically remove.

After you're done stripping the sub, clean off the surround and spider landings on the basket with Acetone to leave it as paint stripper and oil free as possible. You could probably skip that step, but for the amount of money and time you have invested in doing this, its worth a bottle of $4 acetone at Walmart - Right?

Here is the driver after its been cleaned and seperated from the motor.

The motor top plate should be clean and clear of all debris for a perfect fit onto the basket assembly.

Apply a bead of CA glue to the bottom of the basket

Before the glue dries, attach the basket with the required screws. Do not overtighten, but make them a snug fit.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First, lets make the voice coil shims fit before we glue anything. As you can see, I am using three index cards I just bought at walmart.

Next, we should apply glue to the dual spiders.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now lets put glue on the spider landing.

Then insert our shims inside the voice coil former

Now its looking great!

Next we’ll need some way to hold down weight evenly around the coil and spider. I found some odd shaped tupperwear from like 1970 for this, but as long as you get the general idea of how to disperse the weight evenly, you can use whatever you want.

Next I put a 35 lb Oz Audio Matrix 15 motor on the coil assembly so we can leave it to dry.

Me cheesing in back in the workshop

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since on this particular recone kit the spider ring was missing. The spider ring is just a plastic piece that surrounds the outside of the spider and you put 10 screws in it to hold it down to the basket. Since I don’t have that, I’ll just make a nice bead of CA glue around where this ring is supposed to go.

Now we solider on the tinsel leads.

Now we put on the cone, and try to make it as level with the coil former as possible. This usually is pretty easy to do since the surround on the outside of the cone center’s it anyways.

Let’s apply CA glue to the former / cone junction.

I didn’t take a picture of this for some dumb reason, but all I did is a liberal amount of CA glue bead around the basket where the surround landing is. And I put some weight on the cone while it dried. I choose to do this like this, but there is no right or wrong way as long as you put some weight or pressure on it. My girlfriend slapped me for using her popcorn bowl as my “weight dispersion device” :crap: You’re really supposed to use the rubber ring that goes around the outside of the basket rim but I didn’t have one handy so I had to order one. You’ll see it put on the woofer below here after I called Nick at FI and begged him for an extra one :)

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was initial testing and break-in for the sub, I just let it play on some regular radio station music for an hour to loosen it up a bit.

I got a new RD logo dust cap in, and slapped it on with some more CA glue. Then it was off to install it in my girlfriend’s Durango SPL setup.

I haven’t had a chance to put it on my Termlab meter yet, but it sounds great!

If anyone has any questions, just let me know!

·
Junk Bond Trader
5,038 Posts
Nice work and info. I doubt i'll have the balls to be tearing down my subs any time soon, but if I do, I know where to look.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Great thread man, I had a general idea of how to do this and i have wanted to for some time as i seem to be the master of poping coils on subs. But I have searched and can not find a place that sells recones for anything exept old cerwin vega's and a few others. So my question is where can one buy these parts and are parts interchangeable between subs. For example can most subs with a 2'' dia. voice coil use the same coil and spider or are they pretty specific to each subs manufacturer.

·
FastEscapes.net! Mod#1
6,555 Posts
nice, ive wanted to do this to a few subs but have never had the balls, i always thought i would screw something up

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So my question is where can one buy these parts and are parts interchangeable between subs. For example can most subs with a 2'' dia. voice coil use the same coil and spider or are they pretty specific to each subs manufacturer.
There are some people and manufactuers that will sell you parts, or recone kits that will outright interchange with your sub even though they are different parts alltogether. Most 2" coils fit all 2" coil subs, but of course there are exceptions to that. One example is the 4" coils I run in my 18's are interchangeable with two other companies which gives me flexibility in making a "frankenwoofer" if I wanted to.

Some companies that will sell you recone kits and parts are :

FI Car audio
SJA Industries
Nuway
Econowind
Resonant Engineering (allthough they've been getting ghey since they were bought out, so they're "iffy")

Thanks for the positive replies on this thread so far, here are some pics of the sub and setup being finalized for Carl Casper 2008. As you might notice we changed out the box with a smaller one to see if we can get it louder this way. Its all about trying new things and different ways of getting louder.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there any recone kits out there for Kicker L5 12"s? Kicker says no through them...
...and I have a 10w7 needing reconed too...

There are no available kits for reconing Kicker products. Only the SoloX's have the "SPAIR"'s you can buy. Ive taken apart the Kicker L5's and L7's and they use a pretty common chinese 2" coil. Actually the same size coil fits in a Alpine R :)

As far as 10w7's, you could get one made up by FI car audio, or even get the parts to make your own. Anything is better than paying JL audio who charges $300??? Which is totally outragous for $50 in softparts.

·
is a g
1,265 Posts
i also have two 12' L5 subs needing recone. kicker says im screwed as well.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, only subs that can be reconed that are manufactured by Kicker are the Solo X series, and you can just buy drop in "SPARES" that need no glueing, alignment or any other preperation to complete.

And really, for the cost of recone parts its just easier to buy another Kicker sub.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, same power handling as the original. Usually power handling is determined by the amount of coil length/wire it has on it. Which is why 4" coil's can take more power than 3" coils....but it doesnt mean one is louder than the other.

·
TopperAlum
10,640 Posts
ive got an old cerwin vega d124 12" sub that i think blew the cone outta the voice coil and i was wondering if i can just take that bsi sealer or another sealer (possibly buy at walmart, autozone, or somewhere local so i dont have to wait) around where the cone goes into the voice coil without actually taking the sub and cone apart...

because i heard something was different and sometimes it would sound fine and others it wouldn't.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bob-Smith-IC-20...17-Rubber_W0QQitemZ350167784088QQcmdZViewItem

not mine but for reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgaVs8cb3yk&feature=related

1 - 20 of 33 Posts