502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Get Fucked
32,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts/opinions?

PEABODY, Massachusetts (AP) -- Police in Peabody, Massachusetts, could be getting holiday pay on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks in what may be a first-of-its-kind contract provision.

A proposed new contract between the city and the police union would make the anniversary a paid holiday. The proposed contract still needs budgetary approval from the city council.

Officers would receive an extra 25 percent pay for working September 11.

Representatives of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers and the International Union of Police Associations told The Salem News they knew of no similar contract provisions in any other city.

The New York Police Department, which lost 23 officers at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, does not recognize the day as a paid holiday.

A union representing 24,000 NYPD officers has tried during contract discussions to get extra pay for anti-terrorism work in the years since the September 11 attack but has been unsuccessful. Patrolmen's Benevolent Association spokesman Al O'Leary said the pay would be more appropriate than extra pay for one day.

No members of the Peabody force were killed on September 11, but some went to New York after the terror attacks to help the city recover.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/22/holiday.pay.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Mommy's little Angel
5,513 Posts
I can understand where a paid day off would be appropriate for ones who have lose loved ones, co workers, etc but just using it has a random "paid holiday" isn't proper. 9/11 isn't a "holiday" and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me that there isn't much holiday to this day.

·
baddest motherfucker alive
1,427 Posts
why not have a paid day off for the anniversary of world trade center bombings or the german invasion of poland? because they aren't holidays, that's why. 9/11 is not a holiday.

·
& Gang
25,168 Posts
Memorial Day isn't really a "holiday" either, but it's on the calendar.

·
Keeping it real
9,573 Posts
People wanting shit for nothing. Hell lets all get off for wwi and wwii. Even better I need off every year for when kennedy was assassinated

·
Under a bridge waiting
5,885 Posts
Memorial Day isn't supposed to be a fun day. It's the day we remember all the fallen soldiers. We still take the day, many doing so not even knowing why they have the day off.

A 9/11 Day makes sense to me.

·
Under a bridge waiting
5,885 Posts
People wanting shit for nothing. Hell lets all get off for wwi and wwii. Even better I need off every year for when kennedy was assassinated
How is this wanting something for nothing. People died on this day that's a price that can never be paid back.

·
Resident Car Salesman
9,395 Posts
I disagree with the union. I don't see why they need that day. If they are wanting the extra day of pay just ask for another day of vacation time.

·
Premium Member
26,373 Posts
Memorial Day isn't supposed to be a fun day. It's the day we remember all the fallen soldiers. We still take the day, many doing so not even knowing why they have the day off.

A 9/11 Day makes sense to me.
Where do you stop? There are so many days that are 'holidays', but paid holidays are only the BIG ones. Why not a d-day holiday? etc.

Eventually, you'll have barely any time when people are working. Why do you need a day for 9/11? Seriously.. Especially the police force where no one was killed, what's the point?

·
Get Fucked
32,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Under a bridge waiting
5,885 Posts
Where do you stop? There are so many days that are 'holidays', but paid holidays are only the BIG ones. Why not a d-day holiday? etc.

Eventually, you'll have barely any time when people are working. Why do you need a day for 9/11? Seriously.. Especially the police force where no one was killed, what's the point?
D-Day is covered under Memorial day. If 9/11 is so huge that we base a large portion of our government's new policy on it then it merits a holiday.

according to most of what I hear 9/11 had an effect on every american.

·
Get Fucked
32,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
11,024 Posts

·
Mommy's little Angel
5,513 Posts
Judging by experience, most of the people who lost someone they love on 9/11 could care less about it being a "paid holiday". All they want is for their loved ones to be remembered on that tragic day.

Edit: What about the attack on Pearl Harbor? 2403 lives were lost that day. They remember these people every Dec 7th without people having a paid holiday. I always remember them as well as the ones lost on 9/11 and other battles/attacks.

·
Keeping it real
9,573 Posts
It is something for nothing. People in nyc were affected by 9/11 just as much as everyone else. If they deserve it so does everyone in the country, but we don't. Have a moment of silence. Why would you celebrate it by getting paid to take off of work. Now you're just giving terrorists more of what they want, it's still disrupting us to this day because people allow it too. If it's that big of a deal they can tale off and mourn. It was 7 years ago. Time to move on.

·
Under a bridge waiting
5,885 Posts
Now you're just giving terrorists more of what they want.
Cool you just won me 20 Bucks from a co-worker. I bet him this would be used on the first page of this thread.

WIN !!!!!!!!!

EDIT: SNAP it's the 2nd PAGE !!! What took you so long !!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts