502 Street Scene Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting 2 12" JL Audio 12w0 Subs. I have a Boss rev635 600 watt 2-channel amp. The subs have 125 continuous power handling. I need to know if I can run these subs with this amp, and how to do it. I know close to nothing about car audio, I just want something that will sound good. Not sound like my car is getting blown apart. ANY tips will help. :madrun:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also need to know about how much it would cost to build a box for these subs .and what all I will need.

·
hip-hop and hatch-backs
2,438 Posts
Around $40 to build the box. 3/4 mdf, screws, and some kind of sealer. That boss amp probably makes a shit load of distorion at higher gain. Distortion kills subs.

·
no longer fenixracer?
2,871 Posts
May I suggest posting this in the section specifically for car audio? Its the one labeled "Car Audio"

·
Banned
7,053 Posts
That boss amp probably doesn't make close to 600 watts. Maybe 300-400 watts so it should be fine for those two subs. Don't turn the gain up too much, keep it low but you said you want good sound quality anyways so you are probably going to like it on the low better anyways. Also, I design and build speaker boxes so hit me up if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
that boss amp probably makes 300w continuous power which breaks down to 150 w continuous per channel. that's only 25 more than teh subs are rated for, so it should be fine, actually perfect. just tune the gain for the least distortion and you'll be fine. there's actually a thread in the car audio section about setting the gain.

·
is...well, old school
5,481 Posts
yep proper amp tuning FTW, otherwise you will end up wit 2 12" paperweights or boat anchors. Never was a big fan of Boss amps, I installed I'd say at least 100+ back in the day when I was workin in the biz. They aren't the WORST I've seen though. Lots of noise/distortion if you turn the gain up too much. Keep it low, adjust the x-over, then inch it up til it balances out. I prolly wouldn't get it turned more than 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up as a general ballpark tho. Plus, a 600w rated Boss amp probably only puts out 100-125 rms tops per channel so you should be good ta go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts