502 Street Scene Forums banner

Opinions wanted..........

541 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  ej6onLSD 
#1 ·
So as some of you know, my Talon has been sitting since September waiting on a transmission. I bought one used off of some guy who claimed it was rebuilt with his instructor at WyoTech and it turned out to be a waste of $400. After installing it I discovered that it was missing parts, the gear preloads were ALL wrong, and the cases had been chewed up by the excessive play in the gearset. It was a locked up piece of shit. Since then I have been saving for this....... http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pr...670792f8afaa6b

But I came across one of these used...........
http://www.sheptrans.com/catalog.php...DSM AWD&id=2

The top one requires me sending ($100 each way a piece) BOTH of my current transmissions and praying that between the 2 of them there is a solid set of parts (mainly centerdiff, countershaft, mainshaft) that they can do the rebuild around. To do the Jacks' rebuild comfortably I'm going to need around $1900.

The used ShepTrans Stage 3 has 8k miles, and was rebuilt in the spring. The guy is a proven member on DSMtalk.com and I have talked to him extensively over the past couple of days and he seems to have a really good knowlwedge of DSM's. He doesn't have the receipts, but said he would have ShepTrans fax them to me if I wanted them. He has already done it for a guy who sent numerous PM's expressing interest and then couldn't come up with the money. He said he would drive down past Columbus (He live up near Detroit) to meet me and if I decide I don't want it after seeing it, then no problem. He is throwing in a braided steel clutch lione, new TOB, and a new TOB fork. He wants $800 and I think he may be flexible.

I Really want a NEW transmission, but the first 2 months of the year are the slowest at work and it's going to be forever before I get another thousand bucks saved up and I can't stand to to see this car sit any longer. I've already been burned once and REALLY don't want to piss away any more money on this car.

WTF would you do?????????????????????????

See less See more
#4 ·
shep trans for sure...

#10 ·
nice.

get teh shep.

#11 ·
shep...

have you looked into dogboxtransmissions?

its a company that makes transmissions, i dont think they run the company anymore, but im sure if you can get ahold of them, they will still do it on the side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.