502 Street Scene Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
pavement sucks.
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess I could post this here since we have a section for it now.

Doing a complete remodel of a 12x10 kitchen in my GF's house. The house was build in the late 40's, and was a single owner until she closed on it last week. Concrete basement foundation, brick, 2 story, attached 2 car garage on .4 acres.

Anyway, the walls in the kitchen are not plaster, but sheet rock I suppose. Here is a pic of the cabinets removed. The wall the cabinets were on is coming down to open the kitchen to the dining room. The next pics are stage 2 and 3 of that process.

Last night I moved the dangling light switch to the wall on the left and removed a few more 2x4's from the old wall framing.

Next is some drywall repair work, reroute plumbing, add some outlets. Trying to have this buttoned up before derby, so I'll keep updating.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Mike approves of this thread.

·
pavement sucks.
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watched Mike Holmes new show the other day, this lady closed on a house without any inspection... they had bare electric run thru the return ductwork on a furnace. Can you say, kaboom?

$12,000 later, they rewired the entire house. Damn!

·
pavement sucks.
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what we're thinking for final layout. I am undecided whether to put a tall pantry style cabinet next to the fridge, or put the fridge between two 9" base cabinets and uppers with small counters on either side. Also may be doing 42" uppers instead of the 30" pictured.

·
Premium Member
26,373 Posts
This is what we're thinking for final layout. I am undecided whether to put a tall pantry style cabinet next to the fridge, or put the fridge between two 9" base cabinets and uppers with small counters on either side. Also may be doing 42" uppers instead of the 30" pictured.

what software is that?

·
pavement sucks.
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Prolly granite. $44 sq/ft installed from Lowes with a free undermount sink.

Update: Changed the layout a bit, but the colors are the same. From the picture above, basically removed the door on the back right next to fridge (old pantry), and added corner cabs and uppers making more countertop space. Over the weekend I ran 175 or so feet of romex for various things including 12/2 for microwave, fridge, and dishwasher, 14/2 and 14/3 for outlets and lighting, etc, etc. Gonna dive into the plumbing this week. Gotta reroute the sink drain and vent stack, and move the hot/cold supplies over under the window. Once all that is roughed in I'll start replacing drywall and get ready for floor work.

The GF ordered appliances and waiting on a price back on the cabs and countertops.

Still hoping to be complete by april 1.

·
has nice headlights
16,048 Posts
You're going to want more counterspace. Don't forget a backsplash to keep it more interesting. /I'm an interior designer

·
Super Moderator
12,795 Posts
Are you installing a gas range, or crappy electric? Looks like a solid plan otherwise.

·
pavement sucks.
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're going to want more counterspace. Don't forget a backsplash to keep it more interesting. /I'm an interior designer
Here is the layout we are having priced. In includes backsplash and a rough design for the undercab lighting.

·
pavement sucks.
12,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not up on my interior design, but I'd just as soon move the refridgerator and add that foot of counterspace on the other side. That's pretty much worthless, unless you're putting like your wallet on there when you walk in the door.
Yea, I did that for symmetry, but it will prolly end up with the fridge moved left to the window, and more cabs,countertops on the right.

Microwave wont let you adjust the upper cab, but it will be the same size upper as over the fridge.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts