502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me about your experiences there. After I graduate my MOS school here I'll be returning to the monotony of college life. I always just assumed I would go back and finish at UofL, but I'm interested in learning more about IUS. I've been browsing their site but I would rather hear it straight from some of you.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Well if you like high school and easy classes then you will like IUS.
Not true.

1.) A LOT cheaper to attend.
2.) Smaller classes, which is a huge + for me.
3.) Lots of degree choices w/ the option to get your masters in many things.
4.) Nice new HUGE library.

People knock it and call it Grant Line High, and the majority of these people haven't made it through their pre reqs yet, so yea, it should be fairly easy. They will have on campus living starting next fall I think, so things should be pretty busy.

·
Thread Killer
704 Posts
I am a senior at IUS and it depends on what you prefer like large classes and having attendance count then not for you. I would say yes to IUS just because it will be easier compared to UofL. On the IUS library it is new/nice but is nothing compared to a real college library.

·
No longer the monkey butt!
1,248 Posts
I like it out there...some of the MBA classes are quite challenging and the class size is pefect. Parking sucks a bit though.

Also, it ranks 18 in the nation for Part Time MBA programs. It says IU on the diploma just as much as it would if you were in bloomington.

·
Registered
45 Posts
First of all, you need to visit both campuses and make a decision. I can tell you, I have attended both colleges. IUS is far from easy or being HS. The school of business is ranked in the top 10, thanks to the school of Kelly. Also, the journalism department is also ranked extremely high. Yes, the class room sizes are smaller, which isn't a bad thing. One thing I really like is that all the professors at IUS are accredited (Masters & Phd.), unlike UL and you may have a TA. Also at UL, you are a number, whereas at IUS the professor knowns who you are. You are also able to take classes online through other Indiana colleges and receive credit.
Finally, your diploma states Indiana University, not IUS. The reason why UL's library is so much larger is that it's a public library, whereas IUS's is not.

I would recommend visting both campuses and see which one best fits your needs or major.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I have a journalism degree from IUS, and I loved it there. Most of my classes were pretty easy but that was purely based on my major and choice of electives, not because all IUS classes are cake. But that's all subjective anyway. As others have said, your degree just says IU, not IUS. Nobody knows you went to a regional campus (until you put the location on your resume :hs:), but all of the regional campuses have IU accredited programs anyway. IU had to look at the program and agree that it was good enough to put their name on it.

A big part of why I liked IUS was because my teachers actually knew me. I couldn't slack off like I probably would have at a big campus. My teachers all knew my name, they knew if I wasn't there, and I felt like I could ask them for help more easily. You could also get to know all the other students in your class, and you would probably be seeing them again in another class at some point. The campus is small, you can make it from one end to the other in 5 minutes or less. The parking sucks for the first few weeks of every semester, but generally after all the slackers stop coming it gets better. The campus police are nazis though. :hs:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I would have to bump this up just to get one response due to my poor timing on making the thread. Thanks for all the input so far.

I would recommend visting both campuses and see which one best fits your needs or major.
I agree on going to visit before I start to make any decisions. I attended and lived at UofL last year, I'm trying to get a feel for my other options without having to leave the area.

·
\""/ + ( . Y . )
18,730 Posts
If for some reason I couldn't go to Bellarmine anymore, IUS would be my next choice.

·
sorry 'bout my face
10,153 Posts
Well I just started at IUS this semester as a CompSci/Math major, and here's my take on it so far:

I love it. I came from JCC, and education wise, it feels like I'm finally going to a real college. Their customer service is excellent, and they are always timely with responding to issues and answering questions, helping you along, etc.

As far as classes being "easy", that's a big load of horseshit. Maybe pre-reqs, but what pre-reqs aren't? Both my math classes this semester are no joke, and they are absolute basics. Compared to the education I received in KY and at JCC, I'm actually being challenged for once in my life. To be able to keep up in class, I have at least 4 hours of study/hw time for each day I'm in school.

Also, the classes are smaller, and I don't really know what dipshit would find this to be a problem. For one, you get to interact with people on a more personal level, it's much easier to get to know everyone in your class when there are only 30 students in it. On top of that, you'll find getting help from the teacher to be a lot easier, and the teachers will have better metrics on knowing where everyone in his class stands on the material.

Anyway, I made a thread asking about IUS about 3 months ago, before I decided to go there. Between that, and the recommendations from pretty much every person I've asked, I decided to go. I have to say so far, I'm extremely happy with my decision.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I graduated last summer with my MBA and MSSF. I can't speak to the quality of the under-grad program but the grad program is top notch. The program was challenging and overall was great learning experience.

·
sorry 'bout my face
10,153 Posts
I don't think you can connect IUS to the Kelley School of Business.

Different undergrad programs, different schools, etc.
That's correct

They did say that the IUS business school is ranked 18 though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts