502 Street Scene Forums banner

Interior cleaning

1K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  SusanAndrews10 
#1 ·
What is the best method you all use/have used for cleaning interior panels and carpet? Wanting to scrub down the door panels which are a composite plastic, as well as the dash, console area, and give the carpet and floormats a good scrubbing. I've heard a dilution of woolite works well for carpet. Are there any cleaning materials I should stay away from that might discolor or stain the plastics/carpet?

#3 ·
Reg, if you're willing to go through the work I've found it's easier to clean it better if you remove door panels and other items you want to clean. Even down to the carpet. Now, getting the carpet out is annoying, as is putting it back in. However, if you do that you can put it in a barrel and soak it your desired cleaning solution. Other than that I really don't have any suggestions about what items work best.

#4 ·
For plastic try a regular household cleaner such as 409. I've used it with great results. No discoloration at all. 409 also has carpet cleaner for spot cleaning. I've used the car carpet cleaner with the brushes on the can and they are ok for spots. For all over I've always wanted to rent or borrow a carpet shampooer that has a hand held wand attachment for my car.

#5 ·
I just used one of those home carpet shampooing machines on my car's carpet and it worked amazing. I used the little handheld attachment that's for stairs and upholstery. It just sprayed out a solution (hot water and some resolve) then there was a brush that worked it in and the dirty water got vacuumed up. Quick and easy with great results. The only problem is finding somebody that has one or dropping the money on buying one.

#7 ·
You used to be able to rent them at Kroger, but I don't know if they still do. Might have to break out the old fashioned yellow pages.

#14 ·
i use mean green for hard plastic panels and i just cleaned the seats and carpet in my firebird today with woollite carpet cleaner with oxyclean in household brissel carpet cleaner( using the hand held attachment of course!!) and it worked wonders on 5 year old coffee stains.

the passanger seat was brown before i cleaned it, here it is now

#18 ·
I own professional detail shop and ill give ya a lil secret on what to use. Go to d&d products its located on cane run road that where I and every other detail shop i know gets materials. Get a quart sized spray bottle of there red degreaser its only about 6 to 8 bucks i think for that size i buy it by the gallon an its like 16. That works great for the door panels and plastics and carpet. They do also have a carpet spotter remover that works great as well. As far as seats go leather its great on too and cloth seats what i usually do if they are filthy is take them out an spary them with the degreaser allowing it to sit on there for about 5 mins then pressure wash the seats and then dry the seats with a shop vac it works wonders. Also when your scrubbing the carpets spray them with the degreaser an let it sit then take a bucket fill it with warm water an pull some in there as well and take a wash mit an get the carpet good an wet with that then scrub like hell then suck it all up with a shop vac

#21 ·
auto stores sell a vinyl and dash cleaner in a spray bottle. it works great.

#24 ·
Many people are now actively using all-purpose cleaning, protecting, conditioning products such as Fortador Leather Vinyl Trim, The Chemical Guys SPI220 and quite successfully. I myself recently found a blog Best car interior dressing | Interior dressing for auto detailing which tells about the best interior trim dressing and decided to try these techniques. With the help of protection products, I managed to remove scratches and prevent new ones from appearing, and I also now have the smell of a new car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.