502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i spotted this on another board and thought it was interesting, and was wondering if this is a legit way to get cars into the country and getting a legit title easily. Of course it would still be expensive...

"Over a three week period in November, one of my neighbors managed to fill his lot with four very nice JDM cars. They are all RHD. They include an FD, R32 GTR, 02 or 03 Type R and a 97 Supra. My curiosity grew to an extreme and I figured that I wanted to know what was up. So I asked him how in the hell did he manage to import all these car's to Miami.
Long story short he explains that he is in the import/export business and in order to legally drive these cars on the streets he has someone in Japan separate the shell from the motor and ship them in different containers. Once they arrive over here he puts them back together in his warehouse and because he is a dealer registers them as a kit car. I've seen him get pulled over in the Supra and the car wasn't towed or anything. I'm stumped to believe him about this because he has had a rather iffy previous history with the law."

So it seems interesting to me... what do you all think?

·
& Gang
25,168 Posts
You're dumb as fuck, Justin. This has been going on forever, how the hell did you not know this? Dumbass...

When can I drive your car?

:p

·
Super Moderator
12,796 Posts
That method is specifically listed as not being legal if you read the DOT/ EPA, etc. sites. I don't doubt that it may be easy to do in some states/ areas of the country, but it can come back and bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just curious How can you make a RHD JDM car completely legal?

·
I'm thinking Arby's
9,907 Posts
That method is specifically listed as not being legal if you read the DOT/ EPA, etc. sites. I don't doubt that it may be easy to do in some states/ areas of the country, but it can come back and bite you in the ass.
exactly, if you ship them apart in the same container they still count it as a full car that is why he is slipping them in seperate containers. Which in a state like this you could get away with probably. Unless it is a motorex original then no other skyline is totally legal 100%. r32's are not legal in anyway b/c there have no crash testing only 96-98 gts-t's, and gtr's are totally legal to import but have to be modified by the regulations that the crash tests provided. Motorex was badging r34's,r32's as r33's so that is why they got shut down.

"kit-car" regulation states it is considered a kit-car if it was never mass produced like skylines were...

·
bouncing around the room
905 Posts
ok the site i was talking about was sky-kit.com but after looking into it it seems that they ripped a ton of people off and now only deal in exotics and you have to be a dealer to see there web site.
but i did find unreal-imports.com which they arnt kit cars but damn theyve got some nice cars

·
Registered
831 Posts
step 1 move to canada
step 2 purchase 15 year old jdm car
step 3 drive
step 4 dont come back to united states with car lol

·
Ecu HackAr
6,059 Posts
exactly, if you ship them apart in the same container they still count it as a full car that is why he is slipping them in seperate containers. Which in a state like this you could get away with probably. Unless it is a motorex original then no other skyline is totally legal 100%. r32's are not legal in anyway b/c there have no crash testing only 96-98 gts-t's, and gtr's are totally legal to import but have to be modified by the regulations that the crash tests provided. Motorex was badging r34's,r32's as r33's so that is why they got shut down.

"kit-car" regulation states it is considered a kit-car if it was never mass produced like skylines were...

x2 you've done your homework also..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts