502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a $5,000 bundle from Ebay with a rebuilt RB25DET, Garrett GT35R, and a pallet full of goodies.

Well, the turbo was a knock-off as I indicated in another thread on here. Last week we discovered that the engine was in fact not rebuilt. Today we discovered that the engine internals were not in working condition when it failed a basic leak down test.

I paid for the engine via money order, and while I have a contract with the guy it only allowed for two weeks to review the parts and make sure they were the correct items. That was about 3 months ago.

Basically, I got screwed. This is on the heels of buying an R32 half cut that contained a beaten down RB20DET that failed on me after 3 months of use. I'm not having good luck lately. =/

·
& Gang
25,168 Posts
Wow, that sucks man, sorry to hear.

Tip of the Day: Don't buy an RB series motor off ebay.

·
Slide or Die
402 Posts
WoW!! im really sorry you got done like that. So your saying you bought a rb20 it failed after 2months and now you got shafter on this rb25? Thats the worst luck ever. If you do buy another motor maybe get it from a well known dealer like, jspec or enjuku racing or some other name company. good luck with what ever you do next.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I haven't been having the best of luck. While it's highly unlikely any of you would ever deal with them, I would steer clear of Smoothlinez Auto Salon in California. They are apparently the perpetrator of this fraud.

·
GOT HEEM
9,658 Posts
That sucks. But hey, you could buy my 240, it's red, good back bumper, S14, has 270R front, and has working RB25DET...just like what you always wanted, lol.

·
Honda Rapist
1,276 Posts
gotta buy from reputable vendors bro, better luck next time

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
Sorry, but i was at autolab and looked at all that. I knew it was coming.

Lesson learned.

If it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is.

( as in, how much you got all the goodies for ) It is eBay, what to you expect?

·
Streetricin Daily
2,652 Posts
Im sorry but this could have been avoided if you had asked some of the people on any forum. I feel bad for ya but at the same time I dont.

·
40 roll 3honks
4,733 Posts
never buy anything off ebay unless you're prepared to rebuild it. Otherwise, go through a local company like autolab or zerolift so you can take it back if it ends up being a pos, otherwise buy from a reputable place online like heavy throttle, enjuku, jgy, etc.

FWIW tho, take it apart and see what you're dealing with, rod and main journals. You technically don't get the correct compression and leak down #'s unless the engine is warm.

·
Habitual late apexer
6,106 Posts
never buy anything off ebay unless you're prepared to rebuild it. Otherwise, go through a local company like autolab or zerolift so you can take it back if it ends up being a pos, otherwise buy from a reputable place online like heavy throttle, enjuku, jgy, etc.

FWIW tho, take it apart and see what you're dealing with, rod and main journals. You technically don't get the correct compression and leak down #'s unless the engine is warm.

w3rd

·
Moderator (again)
12,752 Posts
good information

for all the people saying "don't buy stuff off of ebay," "shouldn't have paid with a money order" and the rest of the comments. I think he knows that now. :\

·
Happiness is a Pint away
5,193 Posts
this is correct info however in this case it unfortunately doesnt matter. first cylinder I dropped the leakdown tester into showed 100% leakage. With the exh manifold off of the car you can literally see the bent exh valve.

I have preached for years the dangers of buying stuff of ebay, I literally see this type of terrible situation everyday because of shady sellers. If it isnt China made crap being sold its polished junk that someone is just trying to get rid of.

But hey Im overpriced and expensive so what do I know. Why buy locally and pay a little more when you can get a SWEET deal on ebay right!

-bill

·
I'm thinking Arby's
9,907 Posts
I for one have never had a problem off ebay, but I use paypal and check feedback. If it isn't 1000 or more left feedback and 99-100% positive I don't screw with it. As far as motors I wouldn't have took a risk like ebay especially with a money order for 5k wtf? That alone is dangerous sending that shit in the mail.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts