502 Street Scene Forums banner

Honda Civic Coil over help?

2K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  89SiR 
#1 ·
i have a 95 honda civic with a D15B7, i just rec ently added some rota's to it, I was looking to get it lowered and wondering what would be a good reasonable priced coilovers? i was thinking about gettin Tein full coilover set, just wondering if anyone had any advice on this, my car is by no means fast so im just looking for a decent ride, no cheap ebay coilover garbage.

#4 ·
K Sports are more for just a drop. They suck from what I hear. Skunk 2 offers a PRO C coilover that I had on my 08 Si. Not many people made anything else at the time, but they were decent!

Hands down best setup. Order custom rates from Ground Control. I ran a 400F/ 500R on mine. Loved it. Better than more expensive coilover kits as well.

#16 ·
Define good?

If you just want to slam your car on its nuts, you don't care how it rides because your on the bumpstops anyway, and you think your good handling = stiff suspension, then cheapo double adjustable coilovers (where the lower mount and the spring perch both adjust, not to be confused with double adjustable dampners) are a great solution. Just pick the "JDM" brand that will impress your like minded friends the most and your set.

#18 ·
It seems that koni yellows and ground control sleeves, would probably be the best option. I really don't know a whole lot about suspension ive always had OEM, is there any other parts that i would have to buy to go along with koni yellow springs and ground control sleeves? Could anyone briefly explain the custom rates (I ran a 400F/ 500R on mine)? What would be the best for just normal driving like highways, not really racing or anything like that?

#19 ·
The Koni Yellows are the shocks, the Ground Control sleeves come with springs. With GC Custom rates you can either tell them what shocks you are running and they'll pick them for you, or you can name the rates if there's a hot setup you want to copy. Generally you want your dampening and springs to be matched, id let GC or someone who's done a lot of development and is willing to post their setup do that for you and take out the guesswork.

It looks like they're running a special on a complete kit right now for hondatech, Says to visit honda-tech.com for the code to get the discount:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=681

As for other parts you might want to look into for the install, Think about some decent upper mounts (which GC sells and comes with that complete kit) and maybe camber plates (if they are available for the civic)

#23 ·
Yeah if your looking for just a nice street set up, I wuld just get the off the shelf rates from GC. You will need to tell them if your using Koni Yellows. I believe they have a slight difference in something if I remember correctly.

You really don't NEED anything else to install them.

With the GC's you will be able to easily adjust the height, and with the Koni's you will be able to turn a knob and adjust them stiffer or softer.

If you buy the nice stuff, you can always sell them for a good amount down the road if you keep them in good condition!

#26 ·
It looks like its gonna cost about $900 for the whole setup, i wasn't really wanting to spend that much, but suspension seems to be you get what you pay for. The Koni orange are about 200 cheaper on both front and back, is that because their garbage?

#27 ·
like you said, you get what you pay for. The oranges are a less aggressive street shock, not necessarily garbage but not not as performance oriented as the yellows.

I wish I could get a setup that nice for 900, shocks alone cost more than that on my car.

#32 ·
Listen to the Nacho. My Koni and GC setup rides so much smoother and more controlled than my old Eibach Pro-kit and KYB AGX setup. Not that it matters for your setup, but I run 440F/330R on my car. I would think 400F/ 500R on your car would be pretty stiff.

#34 · (Edited)
Eh, it's a bit hard to do a one to one spring rate comparison on different cars. Even with equal spring rates the double wishbone setup makes the wheel rates smaller on the Honda than what they would be on the 240's MacPherson setup.

That said, 400/500 isn't the most comfortable ride ever, but it's still within what an off-the-shelf Koni can handle.

Decent writeup on wheel rates: http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_wheel_rate.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.