502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
SUVette
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
discuss. all i gotta say is i can't agree any more

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegi ance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Every American citizen needs to read this!

KEEP THIS MOVING

·
booooost
17,574 Posts
Agreed.

·
is better than you
8,967 Posts
I also disagree, I always find it funny when white people say things like this, considering that the only people who can truly say they are American and nothing else are Native Americans. I'm American, but I'm German and Irish as well and will never say that I'm not. Anybody who honestly thinks that America should and will only have one language these days is a fucking idiot. Times have changed, people have changed, and if you don't change with it, you're no better than the bumblefuck idiots who live in one room shacks in the hills and fuck their sisters.

·
Moderator (again)
12,752 Posts
because it is emails like this that show america's ass?

because thing have changed in 101 years since the statement is made?

because if we only think of speaking one language we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage in a global economy?

·
Dealer in Destructive Service
4,925 Posts
I also disagree, I always find it funny when white people say things like this, considering that the only people who can truly say they are American and nothing else are Native Americans. I'm American, but I'm German and Irish as well and will never say that I'm not. Anybody who honestly thinks that America should and will only have one language these days is a fucking idiot. Times have changed, people have changed, and if you don't change with it, you're no better than the bumblefuck idiots who live in one room shacks in the hills and fuck their sisters.
Wow.

First of all, Native Americans are just that, Native Americans. The term 'American' in the patriotic sense refers to our forefathers who came to this country and penned something called the declaration of independence which granted men freedoms. So, to be free and accept these ideas is 'American'. German and Irish is your heritage. Your nationality is, or should be, American. Times have indeed changed and many people will say that's exactly what's wrong. Maybe we've become too open minded, too willing to accept what's different. I guess when a bunch of Hispanic kids pulled down the American flag at their high school in California (March 2006) and strung it upside down with the Mexican flag over it that's ok. Tolerance right? Times are changing right?

That's terrorism, plain and simple. That's not embracing ideas or being open minded. Simply put; because people who claim another nationality come to this country looking for nothing but a hand out we need to be more tolerant. That's not freedom, it's terrorism and abuse.

Disclaimer: I am in no way racist and have zero issues with someone having pride in their heritage. I DO have a problem with people coming to this country, taking their hand out and then talking shit about what's wrong with this country.

·
4,925 Posts
because it is emails like this that show america's ass?
I hardly think a quote from a President elected by the people (twice, he served two terms) is showing our ass.

·
is better than you
8,967 Posts
there are plenty of people who migrate to America and ask for nothing from the country, but never learn English, that are looked down upon because they're just another worthless fucking ****. I'm not a fan of the government providing an excessive amount of support to anyone, whether they're a legal citizen or not. I think that everybody who lives in the US should have to work for what they have, and a LOT of immigrants do just that, because they came to America for a better life. I'd worry more about the welfare pieces of shit in housing projects and trailer parks than immigrants; they're the real plague on society.

It is not the immigrant's fault that they can come here and get paid to be lazy. They all came here looking for a better life and in the beginning I'd bet that most of them were more than willing to work hard for it. Then they realized that our country would pay for them to freeload, and why wouldn't they take that route? Hell, even on welfare living in our slums they are probably living a better life than where they came from.

·
4,925 Posts
there are plenty of people who migrate to America and ask for nothing from the country, but never learn English, that are looked down upon because they're just another worthless fucking ****. I'm not a fan of the government providing an excessive amount of support to anyone, whether they're a legal citizen or not. I think that everybody who lives in the US should have to work for what they have, and a LOT of immigrants do just that, because they came to America for a better life. I'd worry more about the welfare pieces of shit in housing projects and trailer parks than immigrants; they're the real plague on society.

It is not the immigrant's fault that they can come here and get paid to be lazy. They all came here looking for a better life and in the beginning I'd bet that most of them were more than willing to work hard for it. Then they realized that our country would pay for them to freeload, and why wouldn't they take that route? Hell, even on welfare living in our slums they are probably living a better life than where they came from.
I think that based on what you just typed you are agreeing with the quote. To be willing to work for the better life and opportunities is in fact American. The slime who chooses to live off welfare knows no race or nationality, they are freeloaders and they come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

That quote was from a period where we weren't tolerant of people looking for a hand out. What has happened since then is we have become too tolerant because that's what is the politically correct thing to do.

·
4,925 Posts

·
Get Fucked
32,630 Posts
way to take a friendly debate and make it stupid.
This is 502. Did you expect more?

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.
This is the part of the quote I have the most trouble with. I was born in Canada, but spent about 3/4 of my life here. So I was raised around American customs. I know about American History then Canadian, I know the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance, and I still can't recite O' Canada all the way through. But I still consider myself Canadian. I don't understand why I can't be both. I love America and everything it has to offer, but I also love my roots and where I came from.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
is better than you
8,967 Posts
I think that based on what you just typed you are agreeing with the quote. To be willing to work for the better life and opportunities is in fact American. The slime who chooses to live off welfare knows no race or nationality, they are freeloaders and they come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

That quote was from a period where we weren't tolerant of people looking for a hand out. What has happened since then is we have become too tolerant because that's what is the politically correct thing to do.
I both agree and disagree with the original quote, mostly because it is from 1907 and relates to that time. In 2008 it's almost more "American" to sit on your ass and let other Americans pay your way. I have a huge problem with the bolded portions of the quote, partially for reasons relating to what Drew said, and partially because English is an incredibly difficult language to learn, and if we have a large portion of our population being immigrants, why can't they speak to each other in their native language?

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

·
4,925 Posts
This is 502. Did you expect more?

This is the part of the quote I have the most trouble with. I was born in Canada, but spent about 3/4 of my life here. So I was raised around American customs. I know about American History then Canadian, I know the National Anthem and the Pledge of Allegiance, and I still can't recite O' Canada all the way through. But I still consider myself Canadian. I don't understand why I can't be both. I love America and everything it has to offer, but I also love my roots and where I came from.
Good point. I can sympathize a bit. My best friend I've made through the Marine Corps is the exact same. Canadian born, spent half his life there, then came here with his family. His wife lived in Canada her whole life up until this last year. I can see where you would have a problem with that particular part of the quote tho. I'd even go so far as to say that it discriminates a bit against people embracing their heritage. I think what truly matters is where is your allegiance. Should your Canadian brothers start acting froggy with the US, whose side would you take up arms with?

·
4,925 Posts
I don't think it's absurd to require the English language to be spoken. Sure it's difficult to learn, but what about 'immigrating' is easy? I don't visit Mexico, China, Germany, and expect them to speak English.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts