502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found this Acura TL, its a 2004 with 40,000 miles....Looks to be in great shape, Nav and all the options...But it also said LOW flood damage. So my question is, who has dealt with this sorta thing? how hard is it to get tags for? and any other advice is needed. I was going to buy a nice G35, but it got sold before I could get it.

Link

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...n=&max_price=16000&cardist=84&superSpotlight=

·
showing you who's boss!!
12,245 Posts
Not unless you know the person sellign, the EXACT situation of damage...no way, no how.

·
Chedda Gets Cheddar
3,310 Posts
i believe there was a guy selling a wrx with flood damage in the f/s section. you may want to PM him to ask about the title situation, and how to get it resolved.

i dont know if i would buy it though. if you want to, you may want to find a honda tech off the board to go check it out or something.

·
Assistant Regional Manager
4,909 Posts
Always a tricky situation. If the car turns over and runs fine, I would feel comfortable paying that price for it. You may have to replace the carpet/liner/etc, but if the water did not get very high, it should be ok. Checking all the electrical out would be a must.

If it is sold "as-is" with no guarantee of start-up, I would steer clear.

You may want to touch base with catesjets. I know he has done a ton of rebuilds, although I am not sure how much experience he has with flood vehicles.

·
Happiness is a Pint away
5,193 Posts
thinking to myself quietly in the corner (flood damage Acura > *.nissan)

j/k lol

·
Local Import Killa
2,852 Posts
I see titleing as only one of problems. First, just becuase it may start or turn over now, think about the reliability of wire harnesses and electronics that may have been underwater or at least damp. Not too mention potential contaminants in the engine oil, drive axel, trans and etc. Just seems like a lot of risk vs. reward to me. I would try an auction car before buying one from a flood :twocents:

·
Cares not about REP!
7,123 Posts
Jessies old SRT-4 was a flood damage car and it showed no signs of demons for several years but towards the end of mikes ownership wiring stuff was messing up all over the place.

·
I'm thinking Arby's
9,907 Posts
Jessies old SRT-4 was a flood damage car and it showed no signs of demons for several years but towards the end of mikes ownership wiring stuff was messing up all over the place.
gotta love corrosion, why do you think insurance companies total flood damage cars so quickly? Exactly, b/c even if the water is very low in the car the ecu's on most of them are in the kick panels or somewhere else on the floor. I agree with ol' boy on this one, too many risks.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hale Nay!

I've owned a flood car, & it was never really the same in the aftermath.. was hard to sell too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Late-comer to this thread...
But, EastCoastAuto.com, of Bedford, VA seems to deal with many "low flood damage" cars. Perhaps it was minor damage, perhaps not. Either way, these cars are generally "totaled" by the insurance companies. If you cannot live with that particular car, have an expert rebuilder/mechanic look it over closely, and get an estimate of how much the repairs will be before you buy it. Also be aware that if it was totaled out by an insurance company, it will have an "R" Title from that point on, instead of a manufacturer's Certificate of Title. The car may be fine, but because of the car's history, it will never regain full price value, and trade-in and re-sale will suffer. If the price is too good to be true, the car should probably be avoided.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts