502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how difficult it is to fix a unibody chassis (the car in question is a 2003 Miata) that has been bent? I am stopping by to see the damage myself tomorrow morning but am told the floor board under the driver's side is bent as well as the bar running from driver side to passenger side. The guy is saying its fixable but I want the car totaled as I don't like the idea of driving a car that's had a bent chassis. The a-pillar is off because of this so the top won't latch shut. What would you do?

·
Yakuza
8,543 Posts
Most likely you are better of totalling it out. I had a 300zx that had frame damage and instead of saying it was fixable they warned me that it was unsafe to drive. Thankfully I sold it off to someone else who had the time to restore it.

If you do have it fixed then make sure the shop is really good with their work.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm ready to put up a fight with the Insurance company. If the body shop says, "Sure we can do it for $X" and X is less than the value less salvage the insurance company will want to fix it. We'll see what happens.

·
I'm thinking Arby's
9,907 Posts
sounds like a total to me, it is usually a percentage of how much the car is worth compared to the price of repair. I believe it is considered totaled if the repair costs are around the 70% mark of how much your car books for. Get a second opinion if I was you that way you will know if they are just trying to pull the job for bologna sandwhiches or being honest. I work for a body shop and that sounds totaled to me.

·
Administrator
10,475 Posts
I agree with fighting them or asking for it to be taken to a different shop. It is a Miata not a collector car. Junk it and move on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts