502 Street Scene Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contacted today by a guy from Ohio. He said that he had wrap on his turbo manifold and that it had cause the weld to break at the seams.
Is this normal?

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I was contacted today by a guy from Ohio. He said that he had wrap on his turbo manifold and that it had cause the weld to break at the seams.
Is this normal?
If it's an aftermarket non-cast manifold, depending on the manufacturer and weld quality it's not unlikely for the welds to simply fail with nothing done to it. The wrap will only hold heat in, if the welds aren't done well I would presume it could cause premature failure due to increased heat, but I doubt it.

Edit: When I say not unlikely I'm not saying it's common but it does happen from time to time

·
#girlslikeus
15,907 Posts
I've always been under the impression that header wrap is junk unless you can't avoid it.. I've seen it cause corrosion from trapping moisture.. as my fab guy always said... it's stainless, not stainproof.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've always been under the impression that header wrap is junk unless you can't avoid it.. I've seen it cause corrosion from trapping moisture.. as my fab guy always said... it's stainless, not stainproof.
Yeah! From what I have seen, I know the wrap will trap moisture between it and the metal causing premature corrosion. I've acually seen headers that weren't that old totally rusted through! Bummer!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's an aftermarket non-cast manifold, depending on the manufacturer and weld quality it's not unlikely for the welds to simply fail with nothing done to it. The wrap will only hold heat in, if the welds aren't done well I would presume it could cause premature failure due to increased heat, but I doubt it.

Edit: When I say not unlikely I'm not saying it's common but it does happen from time to time
Yep! I'm sure it probably heats up the metal in the headers. But how much? would you know or does anyone know?

Hey! I have received headers that were, lets just say not quit as high quality as some others, When we coated the inside of them the coating acually runs out the holes. I have even layed it in there pretty heavy and stopped them up. After the outside is then coated there are no holes. Wouldn't this help prevent those holes from just getting bigger and bigger?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ceramic coating vs. header wrap

Header wrap is no competition to ceramic. http://coolcoat.org
Yep! I'm sure it probably heats up the metal in the headers. But how much? would you know or does anyone know?

Hey! I have received headers that were, lets just say not quit as high quality as some others, When we coated the inside of them the coating acually runs out the holes. I have even layed it in there pretty heavy and stopped them up. After the outside is then coated there are no holes. Wouldn't this help prevent those holes from just getting bigger and bigger?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts