502 Street Scene Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Go Cats!
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...and it has now been confirmed by Rivals.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=933305

As expected, DeMarcus Cousins ended his recruitment for a third and hopefully final time Tuesday night when he decided to follow Coach Cal to the SEC.

First it was UAB. Then it was Memphis. Now it is Kentucky for Cousins, a 6-foot-9, 250-pound post man from Mobile (Ala.) LeFlore High School.

"Well, basically I went home (from the McDonald's All American Game) and tried to figure out which coach out of all the coaches recruiting me could help me get to the next level," said Cousins. "The answer was Coach Cal. Then I asked myself what school was best to me. And what school is better than Kentucky?"

Cousins did note that Washington and Kansas State were the other two schools on his final list.

Cousins joins five-star big man Daniel Orton and four-star wing John Hood in the Kentucky recruiting class. More recruits are expected to follow.

"I'm working on John Wall and Xavier Henry right now," he said. "I think we have a chance to get them."

DeMarcus Cousins scouting report:

An impressively physical presence, Cousins has the ability to dominate the interior. He can score in traffic and rebound in a crowd. Defensively, he is extremely difficult to score over. Not limited to being effective around the basket, Cousins can also operate on the perimeter. Perhaps his most underrated skill is his passing ability. Maturing emotionally is his biggest challenge in the development of his game.
Holy crap.
Wall (#1 on Rivals, #1 on Scout) and Henry(#3 on Rivals, #4 on Scout). WOW. I wonder where these scholarships are going to come from if they do end up at UK?

·
Premium Member
11,857 Posts
There will be plenty of scholarships available once he gets rid of the bums on the team like Porter, Harrelson, etc...

·
Administrator
10,475 Posts
Porter is gone. Word is they want to try and red shirt Stevenson. They'll find a way if all these highly rated guys want to sign.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Porter is gone. Word is they want to try and red shirt Stevenson. They'll find a way if all these highly rated guys want to sign.
A redshirt still takes up a scholarship. As of now there are 14 for 13 but Donald Williams is rumored to have been told his scholarship was only for 1 year. Also my wife is friends with Harrelson on facebook and he updated his status to say he was uncertain and nervous about his future. Things like this have a way of working themselves out.

·
Administrator
10,475 Posts
Good point. They probably don't mean pay his way a year while on redshirt. Porter is 1 freed up. Next one will probably be a transfer out.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Just food for thought about UK's frontline next year.

Patterson (if he doesnt go pro) - Will be a top 5 post player in the nation next year potentially.
Pilgrim - ex-coach Cyprien said he would be a top 25 player coming out of high-school if he was coming out this year
Cousins - Top 10 by all, top 5 by most nationally. Would probably go pro out of HS if he could.
Orton - Top 25 nationally by all.

Cousins and Pilgrim have good face-up games and can knock down mid-range and 3-point jumpers. Patterson and Orton are great down low, good passers, and really good defensively. UK may have a post similar to UNC or UConn from the past year.

edit: I do wonder how you get 4 different post players in the game with Calipari's "Dribble Drive Offense"? He usually plays a 4 out 1 in style, wonder if that will be altered with the post players he has.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
One big exception when comparing them to other teams....experience.
Thats true, it will take time for the two freshman to come along, but Patterson is experienced and Pilgrim has been practicing against Patterson for a year now. The good news is there is now way all 4 have good enough seasons next year to leave, so UK should have 2 very solid post players with a year of experience playing for UK going into 2010 - 2011.

·
Premium Member
11,857 Posts
"I'm working on John Wall and Xavier Henry right now," he said. "I think we have a chance to get them."

Who is being quoted here? Calipari?

·
It's a fuck off machine, Lee
20,215 Posts
Cousins doing the recruiting now? lol this shit is nuts. Even if we could pick up Wall and Henry, who are they going to sacrifice their scholarships for these guys?

·
Pat Pat > *
3,779 Posts
...and the good news keeps flowing for UK's basketball program. There IS a light at the end of that shitty tunnel the programs been in for a few years.

Reactions: Birdman

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Cousins doing the recruiting now? lol this shit is nuts. Even if we could pick up Wall and Henry, who are they going to sacrifice their scholarships for these guys?
Alot of top level recruits will try to convince other guys to come play with them.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts