502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Now more rotarded
6,556 Posts
BMW has worked with a camless engine too if I remember they were gonna use electro magnets to open and shut them.

·
Two tons of FWD awesomeness..
7,616 Posts
Old idea, and almost every manufacture has a working camless head, its just never been cost effective for production cars. Even Cummins had one running around Columbus in the last gen 5.9 Dodge 2500HD.

Racing bikes and F1 engines, on the other hand, have been using them for years.

http://scarbsf1.com/valves.html

·
The Rotary Masochist
2,741 Posts

From the link:
"This solution [camless] has yet to race or to my knowledge even be tested in a car, Renault have admitted that as a broader automotive organisation, that this systems has been tried."

F1 engines use conventional cams to actuate the valves. They do use use pneumatic springs.

·
SUVette
22,734 Posts
Old idea, and almost every manufacture has a working camless head, its just never been cost effective for production cars. Even Cummins had one running around Columbus in the last gen 5.9 Dodge 2500HD.

pneumatic valves still require a cam to operate them. it just lessens the chance of valve float at higher rpms. there are some bike engines running 19k rpm with them

·
Two tons of FWD awesomeness..
7,616 Posts
From the link:
"This solution [camless] has yet to race or to my knowledge even be tested in a car, Renault have admitted that as a broader automotive organisation, that this systems has been tried."

F1 engines use conventional cams to actuate the valves. They do use use pneumatic springs.

Thats an older article. Renault reportedly used electromagnetic valves (pictured on the bottom of that page) on their 2002-2003 Formula 1 V10 engine, a radical 111 degree design that made 20k+ RPM's, but never made enough power to compete.

·
LS1_E46 or LS1_RX8...
534 Posts
The idea for electromagnetically actuated valves has been around for a long time...it has just never been as practical or cost effective as plain mechanically actuated valves or the various variable valve timing derivatives.

·
GOT HEEM
9,658 Posts
I want to add to this thread that electromagnetic valves camless head has been around for along time, and it just has been cost effective and worth putting into production.....oh wait 5 other people have already said this, shit

·
Dealer in Destructive Service
4,925 Posts
sweet, instead of changing out the cam for a more aggressive one you can probably just reprogram the computer for longer duration and more lift.

·
LS1_E46 or LS1_RX8...
534 Posts
I want to add to this thread that electromagnetic valves camless head has been around for along time, and it just has been cost effective and worth putting into production.....oh wait 5 other people have already said this, shit
Well good thing you showed up to let us know this...

·
Nismo power
1,025 Posts
2 stoke engines run great with out valves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts