502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Two tons of FWD awesomeness..
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading about this last year, but its looking like it'll be put into production. Basically they use a closed-loop system to heat coolant with the catalytic converters and/or mufflers, then use the steam to drive swash plates (like an a/c compressor) attached to the crankshaft. Makes an engine up to 15% more efficient

Combining the innovative assistance drive with a 1.8 litre BMW four-cylinder engine on the test rig reduced consumption by up to 15 percent and generated 10 kilowatts more power and 20 Nm more torque. This increased power and efficiency comes for, well, … nothing. The energy is extracted exclusively from the heat in the exhaust gases and cooling water so it is essentially a quantum leap in efficiency.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4936/

·
2 step, 2 step, 2 step...
2,112 Posts
`lol. steam power ftw.

·
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 'low' temp unit is suppost to be sperate, and go through the radiator, just like current cars.

·
Etchisketchistan
2,921 Posts
the 'low' temp unit is suppost to be sperate, and go through the radiator, just like current cars.
OK, so it goes through the radiator until operating temps or whatever pre-212F they're shooting for, possibly more if the system is pressurized, is achieved and then closes off from the radiator, right?

I was just making sure they weren't trying to vaporize a glycol mixture.

·
7,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so it goes through the radiator until operating temps or whatever pre-212F they're shooting for, possibly more if the system is pressurized, is achieved and then closes off from the radiator, right?

I was just making sure they weren't trying to vaporize a glycol mixture.
No, from what I remember, the main line is kept at very high pressure when hot, superheating it to 500 degrees or more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts