502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
something clever?
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that WB went exclusive with BR, HDdvd mia at CES, I figured I ask if anyone sees any way that HD DVD could possible win.....

More to the point, I just took my HDDVD player back, and before I go on a blu ray buying spree, I figure I'd ask if anyone has a good arguement why I shouldn't.

·
HOOOO!
10,414 Posts
Being that WB went exclusive with BR, HDdvd mia at CES, I figured I ask if anyone sees any way that HD DVD could possible win.....

More to the point, I just took my HDDVD player back, and before I go on a blu ray buying spree, I figure I'd ask if anyone has a good arguement why I shouldn't.
I bought a HD DVD player Saturday and already sent off the upc for my 5 free HD DVD's.......:wadel:

·
booooost
17,574 Posts
HDDVD MIA at CES?!?

ouch

·
Premium Member
26,373 Posts
I think blu-ray will win as well, but I still have an HD-DVD player.. I couldn't pass it up for 100 bucks.

·
HOOOO!
10,414 Posts
so did i, but they didn't ask when I took it back :naughty:
I'm going to stick it out. I mainly wanted an upscaling DVD player for all my old dvd's until the battle was over,but the HD DVD player wasn't much more than a good upscaling only player. The 10 total free HD DVD's was also a nice bonus.... I essentially bought 10 regular DVD's and got a free upscaling dvd player!

·
Brutalizing Members Since 03
14,852 Posts
HDDVD MIA at CES?!?

ouch
Bill Gates had the Ultimate Xbox 360 (HD-DVD player built in) in his speech and took it out at the last minute.

·
14,852 Posts
not only is the whole warner thing a pretty big deal but also if u check the other thread you will see that microsoft is leaning towards switching to bluray for the 360.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/844/844416p1.html
Paramount/Dreamworks has an escape clause in their HD-DVD contract that says if Warner switches to Blu-ray they have the option to abandon ship. Many believe its only a matter of time now. My guess is HD-DVD won't live to see next christmas. Warner will stop producing HD-DVD in June and the plug will be pulled.

·
something clever?
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to stick it out. I mainly wanted an upscaling DVD player for all my old dvd's until the battle was over,but the HD DVD player wasn't much more than a good upscaling only player. The 10 total free HD DVD's was also a nice bonus.... I essentially bought 10 regular DVD's and got a free upscaling dvd player!
I had the HD-A20 and it was an amazing upscaling DVD. By far the best I had. I figured if I wasn't able to take it back then I had a slightly overpriced upscaler like you said.

Does upscaling to 1080P versus 1080P/24P matter?

·
14,852 Posts
I had the HD-A20 and it was an amazing upscaling DVD. By far the best I had. I figured if I wasn't able to take it back then I had a slightly overpriced upscaler like you said.

Does upscaling to 1080P versus 1080P/24P matter?
No. The new buzz word your going to hear alot this year is LCDs with 120hz refresh rate. This is supposed to smooth out the "smearing" sets have when playing back 24frame images.

·
Born BC
2,438 Posts
I personally thought HD-DVD would win over Blu-ray. HD-DVDs are cheaper and so are the players. They both can use VC-1, AVC codec. They both have 36Mbps/72Mbps read speeds. The only major difference is the shorter wave length used in Blur-ray which allows more data storage.

I saw this war going in the same direction as wii vs. xbox360 vs. ps3. The wii is the lower end of the two other competitors but has a higher sale rate.

·
14,852 Posts
I personally thought HD-DVD would win over Blu-ray. HD-DVDs are cheaper and so are the players. They both can use VC-1, AVC codec. They both have 36Mbps/72Mbps read speeds. The only major difference is the shorter wave length used in Blur-ray which allows more data storage.

I saw this war going in the same direction as wii vs. xbox360 vs. ps3. The wii is the lower end of the two other competitors but has a higher sale rate.
If Microsoft would have put an HD-DVD player in the Xbox at launch HD-DVD would have won.

Reactions: 96seteg

·
\""/ + ( . Y . )
18,730 Posts
this blows, i just got an hd-dvd player for my 360 for christmas

·
\""/ + ( . Y . )
18,730 Posts
i have been hearing that bill gates was going to make a big announcement at CES about the 360. I never heard anything else about it, i thought it was going to be a 360 with hd-dvd built in but im guessing they scrapped that?

·
Seth Tecnica International
19,154 Posts
Well, crap, I just bought an HD-DVD player from Amazon.com because of the huge rebate incentive. I'm still waiting to get those free hd-dvd's. I guess I bought pre-maturely. It's still up in the air though.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts