502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gills not Grills
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting one just strictly for "entertainment purposes". I would probably be mounting it in-dash so as not to draw any extra attention.

Here is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_BCT15_BearTracker_Scanner_p/10-501061.htm

My question is this: Is it legal to have & operate a police scanner (in-car) within Kentucky & Indiana? I've been told that it is not legal to have or operate one in an automobile without good reason (i.e. volunteer firefighter, etc.)

·
Respect My Authorita!!!!
6,449 Posts
i was always told that it was not legal but i never looked into it, because the things bother the crap out of me but thats just me.

·
CameraMan
1,939 Posts
It is illegal to have them in your car unless you have a FCC lisence i do beleive. I know i used to keep a hand held one, and it was taking once.

·
Gills not Grills
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hrmm.. that seems kinda silly that you would need a FCC license to operate a radio device that only received a signal and didn't transmit anything. I guess I'll have to do a bit more research on this then before making a purchase.

If anyone knows any laws regarding this or has any experience with this, please chime in. :)

·
CameraMan
1,939 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I would be completly wrong. Wouldn't be the first time either. BUt this is what I was told.

·
CameraMan
1,939 Posts
“(1) It shall be unlawful for any person except a member of a police department or police force or an official with written authorization from the head of a department which regularly maintains a police radio system authorized or licensed by the Federal Communications Commission, to have in his or her possession, or in an automobile or other vehicle, or to equip or install in or on any automobile or other vehicle, any mobile radio set or apparatus capable of either receiving or transmitting radio or other messages or signals within the wave length or channel now or which may hereafter be allocated by the Federal Communications Commission, or its successor, for the purpose of police radios, or which may in any way intercept or interfere with the transmission of radio messages by any police or other peace officers

·
The Heartbeat of America
2,486 Posts
id say get it it looks like a radio head unit so as long as id didnt go off if you got pulled over you would be fine plus the point of getting it would be to not get pulled over. i have a hand held one, and a book of local police and FD freq. so they can be that illegal

·
CameraMan
1,939 Posts
They are illegal. Just because they make them doesn't mean they are. U can pack a hand held around with you. But are not allowed to carried it in a non Federal issued vehicle. Even if your a cop in your own personal car it's illegal. they only people they are excused to people on the Sheriffs department. Why I don't know.

·
CameraMan
1,939 Posts
Buy one, and keep it out of sight. If a cop pulls you over, you should be fine unless he searches your car. Don't give him a reason to search your car.
Perfectly said. Tho i can see him running his license number and hearing an echo coming from within the car.

·
booooost
17,574 Posts
My dad has had a police scanner for the past like 5 years, and always brings it in his truck when he drives. You can't talk back but you can hear everything. He's never got in trouble or anything.

·
CameraMan
1,939 Posts
My dad has had a police scanner for the past like 5 years, and always brings it in his truck when he drives. You can't talk back but you can hear everything. He's never got in trouble or anything.
That doesn't make it legal. Like Drew stated. If your going to do it, don't give them a reason to go threw your stuff. And if an older person has one it doesn't seem as suspicious as a younger guy.

·
booooost
17,574 Posts

I didn't say that made it legal. I just said he's had it in his truck for 5 years, and has been pulled over a few times and the officer didn't say anything.

·
HEMI
1,642 Posts
i carry one sometimes... just make sure its hidden, its never been an issue for me

·
CameraMan
1,939 Posts
One good thing with having them is so you can avoid places with accidents, and be on the look out for emergency vehicles.

·
HEMI
1,642 Posts
they dont tell you where wrecks are... but they are legal cops just dont usually like them too much

·
iStunt
3,403 Posts
what about radar detectors?
if we can have radar detectors in our car y couldnt we have police scaners thats just my opinion
dont they do somewhat the same thing.
or there for the same meaning

1 - 20 of 23 Posts