502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Celica No More
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at homes in Southern Indiana and I was always under the impression that gas = high bills. Instead have everything electric.

Just wondering if anyone on here has gas in So. Indiana and what kind of bills you are looking at.

·
Teh Inky
9,516 Posts
Always under the impression? Until 2000, gas heat was cheaper than electric heat by almost three to one.

·
Teh Inky
9,516 Posts
And after 2000?

I thought gas prices for home heating jumped recently (within last 3 years)
They started walking up, yes. But most peoples' "impression" should be that gas is cheaper than electric, because until recently, it was MUCH cheaper.

Unless you have a newer home that is very well insulated, a heat pump is going to be a disappointment. There is a price for comfort.

·
f u, pay me
6,638 Posts
I have a gas furnace and water heater. My house is about 1500 s.f. and in the coldest winter months my bill for gas is about $130. I could probably close off bedrooms, turn it down to 68, and a couple of other things but I don't.

·
Now more rotarded
6,556 Posts
I have gas water heater and furnace. My bill from LG&E is like 120-140 a month in winter, and we just got new windows and doors. in the summer it is more like 120-130 a month. Not too exp.

-Donnetta

·
Teh Inky
9,516 Posts
I have gas water heater and furnace. My bill from LG&E is like 120-140 a month in winter, and we just got new windows and doors. in the summer it is more like 120-130 a month. Not too exp.

-Donnetta
LG&E's gas rates are lower than PSI's.

·
Now more rotarded
6,556 Posts
I didn't pay attn. to the fact that the thread said anyone in So. Indiana either, i am not in IN. So ignore what i even typed LOL

-Donnetta

·
Celica No More
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had been looking at newer houses (2000+), most of the ones we like are gas, but I was under a false assumption (it seems) that I would be looking at a huge difference in monthly bills if I were to get gas/electric as opposed to electric only. Just trying to see what others bills look like.

·
f u, pay me
6,638 Posts
It can't be that big of a difference, if there is a difference at all. What neighborhoods are you looking at? Are you ready to take the oath to be faithful to the Hoosiers? You know we don't let just anyone move here like they do in Kentucky don't you?

·
Celica No More
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It can't be that big of a difference, if there is a difference at all. What neighborhoods are you looking at? Are you ready to take the oath to be faithful to the Hoosiers? You know we don't let just anyone move here like they do in Kentucky don't you?
We have been looking at Jeffersonville, not really any specific neighborhood though. Just really begun to look at houses really.

·
SUVette
22,734 Posts
We have been looking at Jeffersonville, not really any specific neighborhood though. Just really begun to look at houses really.
we live in jeff. our house was built in '98. we have gas through vectren and electricity through duke. we're averaging around $140 a month between gas and electric. there's not really a difference. only problem is that gas prices will continue to rise at a rate faster than electric. i don't foresee it being that bad though. we used to pay about the same on an all electric apartment that was much smaller

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
My house was built in the 40's, needs new basement windows and kitchen windows. 2 stories with a basement and I pay about $140 a month. I keep it at a steady 72 degrees this winter.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Are you looking for a new construction home? How warm do you keep your house?

We have a 1500 sq ft new constuction home and our gas bill is only around 100. Of course we do keep the temp on 68-70. :)

Which area of Southern Indiana are you looking into?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Before you buy in a newer subdivision do your research. There are some horribly constructed "newer" subdivisions around here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts