502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
littlewhitebumpsongoldkey s
1,111 Posts
Everyone on here is going to tell you to get DSMlink.
Which is a good idea if you can afford it. It is pretty easy to use and has an excellent support forum. It's no AEM/Autronic/Haltech, but has been succesfully used on countess DSM's. If you are on a budget you can get good results with the Keydiver chips. You do not have the user adjustability you would have with the Keydiver. Do you know if you have an eprom ecu or not?

·
Premium Member
9,062 Posts
do not waste your time with dsmlink. i would rather have a chip+ maf translator. there has been several mid 9 second 1g's on just a dsm chip and mafT

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
It depends on how much you're going to end up spending. I don't know the cost off hand for the chip, but for DSMLink you need an Eprom ECU and DSMLink. I think that runs $600. To be honest I bought my AEM EMS for $1100. On my car which is basically stock, I made 212 whp and 240 wtq with just tuning. Its worth the money for stand alone, but its very expensive. I would probably say DSMLink only because I know far more about it than the keydriver chip.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Before i switched over to DS-MAP,
i used to have a dsmchip, it really was a fantastic tune. jeff o. is a master at coding. you can pretty much plug it in, and roast tires without worries of lean spots or knocking..... ever.

if you change yoru setup, or want a more aggressive tune, send him a log, and he'll make you a an updated tune for 20 bucks. or like he did for me a lot of times, free.

·
Cares not about REP!
7,123 Posts
option 2 would be go to moates.net order a chip burner and a few chips then download a program called tunerpro for free and burn a chip yourself.

if you need to make changes the chips are re-writable you can get instruction on making custom changes off many websites

this one you enter your info into the website and it makes a .bin file for you.
http://ilostmymind.com/ECU/DSM/custom.html

this one shows all the custom stuff you manually do to the hex file.
http://users.wpi.edu/~ktarry/dsmtech/dsmromedit.html

and the yahoo user group has some good info too.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dsm-ecu/

I used this option and the car runs great on 1000cc injectors with no adjustment to the afc needed along with several other perks added into the coding.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
do not waste your time with dsmlink. i would rather have a chip+ maf translator. there has been several mid 9 second 1g's on just a dsm chip and mafT
+1.
i had a keydiver chip in my vr4. worked great. drove just like stock, very smooth.
i dont know why everyone is on dsmlink now. sure it's great, but a dsm can go fast without it,so why not take that money and buy more turbo....

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
For the Eprom Ecu and Dsm chip from dsmchip.com it is a total of $375. I already have ac few minor mods done to the car but, I'm not looking to make a huge amount of power out of the car.
if you're not after a ton of power, why not just stick an safc on there and be done?

·
Premium Member
9,062 Posts
because new age dsm owners are retarded and they all come together on dsmtuners and find new ways to blow money on dumb shit, like dsm link. if you cant get there with a gm maf then go to a standalone. as i said befor, many 9 second dsm's @ over 145mph are running on gm maf

·
Premium Member
9,062 Posts
I already have a Safc on it as well as a couple of other minor mods.;) I just am wanting something that won't pull as much timing as a safc does at 24psi.:D
afc's do not pull timing, they advance it it the more you have it in teh negitive, hence why high power afc cars cannot keep a headgasket to save there lifes. i went through 4 head gaskets in a matter of months. it was fine on low boost. but at 32 or so psi. it would blow fast.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I totally agree about Dsm tuners. They all think that if they do it a certain way then thats the way it has to be done. They also think if they haven't seen it done then it can't be done. Most of the people I've talked to on there have never done anything but bolted on a couple of parts that everyone else on there have on their cars.:D

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
I already have a Safc on it as well as a couple of other minor mods.;) I just am wanting something that won't pull as much timing as a safc does at 24psi.:D
so, based on 24psi, i think you're after more power than yo ulet on at first! in that case, you'll need more than just the safc. or....get a smaller injector so you don't have to pull as much fuel out at wot, thereby not getting the huge timing advance. just keep it pulled out at lower loads, that won't hurt anytyhing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea actually I am looking for more power eventually. I just really don't want to go with Dsm Link as everyone you see either has it or wants it. I like to be different and I like to use different types of things to get the same or better results. I will eventually be upgrading to a 50trim turbo or bigger? Oh yea power I am currently only looking for around 380-400 whp. Which in my opinion isn't a whole lot. But I am from the drag racing world where that is a very slow car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts