502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Seth Tecnica International
19,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the issue is with InsightBB Cable, using their supplied RCA cable modem and a Linksys BEFSR41 standard router. If I have my computer plugged directly into the modem, I have no issues, but when I am using the router to split the cable to two computers, the notification "A network cable is unplugged" periodically pops up in the bottom right system tray. It stays up for about 1 second, and this occurs every few minutes. It disconnects long enough to lose connections with peers downloading torrents, AIM, and MSN Messenger. Is there any reason the router would be doing this, or would I need to buy a new router?

I checked the firmware, and it is the newest release, I have restored factory defaults, and left everything as it is. Not sure what could be causing this.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
try resetting it all. Turn off your computer. Unplug both the modem and router. Leave unplugged for about 2 minutes. Plug the modem back in, let it boot all the way up. Then plug the router back in and let it boot all of the way up. Then restart computer.

That usually fixes all of our problems.

·
Is John Fucking Wayne
1,247 Posts
Ok, the issue is with InsightBB Cable, using their supplied RCA cable modem and a Linksys BEFSR41 standard router. If I have my computer plugged directly into the modem, I have no issues, but when I am using the router to split the cable to two computers, the notification "A network cable is unplugged" periodically pops up in the bottom right system tray. It stays up for about 1 second, and this occurs every few minutes. It disconnects long enough to lose connections with peers downloading torrents, AIM, and MSN Messenger. Is there any reason the router would be doing this, or would I need to buy a new router?

I checked the firmware, and it is the newest release, I have restored factory defaults, and left everything as it is. Not sure what could be causing this.
This is between the router and your devices as you know.
A few questions:

1.) Does this "Network cable unplugged" happen on all the devices plugged in at the same time?
2.) What happens to the light pattern on the router when this occurs?

·
Registered
172 Posts

Issue on both pc or just one?

·
Registered
782 Posts
If your doing a whole lot at once like downloading and what not you may be overloading the router cause its having to open and close so many ports at once I would try turning off the firewall that is built into the router then trying it.

·
19,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This occurs on both PC's simultaneously. I'll check the router next occurance.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you've tried setting it back to the factory defaults and it is still doing it I would try turning the firewall on the router if that does not work sounds like the router is toast

·
Banned
6,890 Posts
It happens to both of ours at the same time. And I don't think we're over loading it. It was happening when Seth was the only one on earlier.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If your doing a whole lot at once like downloading and what not you may be overloading the router cause its having to open and close so many ports at once I would try turning off the firewall that is built into the router then trying it.
Yeah I agree if that does not work, and you have already updated the firmware, I think it would be time to send it to the router to trash heap.

·
Gills not Grills
1,237 Posts
Tried updating the firmware on the router? Check the Linksys website for any updates that might be available for your model of router. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd say get a new router.

·
19,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have the latest firmware release, and I'm going to be doing a lot of downloading and high volume data flow, so this is unacceptable. I'm guessing it's time to buy another router. Anyone have one that works for cheap? :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
since you have the lastest version firmware it's prolly either Firewall causing the router to basically restart itself hince the "network cable unplugged" on both pc's or bad router

·
19,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a suggestion from another foruTry this:

1. With everything hooked up and on, hold the reset button down on the cable mode for atleast 7 seconds, then release.
2. Connect to router admin page through browser (192.168.1.1) and do a release and renew on the WAN DHCP.
3. See if you can connect and if the problem is now gone.

If this works, you would have made the router default for the WAN connection and not piggy-backing off the cable modem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts