502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rusted hood FTL
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to shadowkraze I have decided to, with my tax return, pick up the following:

An Sr20Det from a reputable jdm engine dealer. A 96 or newer Hydro Sr20 5 speed tranny(perfer LSD) and a clutch to be decided.

My questions are this- I have experience swapping motors so this is no sweat- So on average how much should I expect to pay to do it myself(Note: I have all the tools to do it here). I know the old saying "you gotta pay to play" and I am more than willing to pay but a nice round figure would be nice.

What clutch would you all suggest as far as reliability and street-ablity?(This will be daily driven)

As far as a good tune goes- will there need to be major tuning, or just minor tweaking because it's a stock turbo and engine?

And finally- Is there anyone who can offer my some 1st hand insight on this whole project?! I've been reading and reading about turbo's but nothing is gonna help like someone who has been through this before.

Thanks guys!

CLIFF NOTES: What clutch do suggest? Will I need to tune it? and help!

·
Registered
461 Posts
www.jarcoinc.com purchased my rb from them highly reccomend them, clutch wise i'm going with these guys www.competitionclutch.com either the stage for ceramic 6puck with 10lb flywheel or the ceramic twin disc. got alot of choices reasonably priced. The tune on the car should be find until you begin swapping turbo's fuel system componets, intake manifold etc... basically large changes, however a good tune is def an awsome thing to have would bring to life the stock engine, I like my Apexi Power FC, an SAFC from Apexi might suit you though if your not getting too crazy with the build.

·
Build it, Boost it, Break it
2,381 Posts
Hydro tranny is from a P11 G20t or B15 SE with the Performance package. Go to Tiger Japanese and get an avenir to your door for under a grand, I have bought 3 motors from them, VERY clean, as clean or better than SOKO. Clutch, I would have to say if you are going to DD this, Spec stage 3 with a 6 puck sprung disk, hold mid 300 ft/lbs and the PP is almost as easy to press as a stocker.

Swap_Hammer

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
tigerjapenese is a lot more expensive than soko- i just ordered a under 40k jdm sr20de for 550 shipped- tiger wanted almost 700 50-60k miles- and i could eat off the soko motor- it is SPOTLESS

·
2,381 Posts
tigerjapenese is a lot more expensive than soko- i just ordered a under 40k jdm sr20de for 550 shipped- tiger wanted almost 700 50-60k miles- and i could eat off the soko motor- it is SPOTLESS

That engine is the only oddball, compare DET prices and Tiger will eat SOKO alive. They know MOST people buy the DET anyway, so thats why its priced affordably. They do not sell too many NA SR's, hence the high price, they usually dont have too many, and the elss they order, the higher it is for them to buy in small quantities.

Reactions: fu98

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
thats strange- because when i priced det's and de's- guess what? soko was cheaper- i wouldn't have said that if i didn't already price them- but thanks

·
2,381 Posts
thats strange- because when i priced det's and de's- guess what? soko was cheaper- i wouldn't have said that if i didn't already price them- but thanks
Ok, so tell me what SOKO priced an Avenir at? I guarantee its not under a grand shipped.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
it was a while back- but i will email ronald at soko again. when i checked last they were cheaper- if they are now or not im not sure- but i will email him. i was just going by what i thought it was- my bad

·
Bike Patrol
5,056 Posts
I have yet to see any DET's cheaper than tigerjapanese at the moment. Do what you wish, buy where you want, in the end you all are SLOW>

·
Fear the Egg
987 Posts
I have yet to see any DET's cheaper than tigerjapanese at the moment. Do what you wish, buy where you want, in the end you all are SLOW>
You act like you've actually got that GTR in your garage, not just your sig. Haven't seen you in a minute... craig and I were talking about you the other day. Hows the sentra doing?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts