502 Street Scene Forums banner

3v vs turbo Mazda Protege

524 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Sibleard 
#1 ·
I debated for awhile whether or not this was worth posting, but I'm procasturbating and bored.

Had a few pulls with my buddies turbo Protege the other day. He's running a TD04, injectors, LSD, and megasquirt. I know he's tuned the whole thing himself. He did have a passenger, so they would be about dead even with just him and me. I didn't realize we were going at the end of the 3rd honk, so I ended up going at the start of the 3rd.

Run 1: I left on the start of the 3rd honk (~65 in 3rd)

Run 2: I waited a bit after the honk, gassed it, left off, then got back on it (~50mph in 2nd)

Run 3: Waited till closer till the end of the honk (~50mph in 2nd)

My mustang isn't much to write home about:
Mac Long Tubes
o/r prochamber
bassani race axlebacks
Hurst STS
Bama 93R

2006 Mustang GT vs Mazda - YouTube

edit: yeah, I know. You'd pull.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I want to say its about a ~1994 protege.
Running a td04 turbo, 550cc injectors, megaquirt, and a LSD. He said similar setups have been close to 260whp. That may be a little bit generous, but we don't know for sure since he's never taken it to the dyno.

There was another video for a buddy on a 1000rr following, but I don't know where the video ended up. I'm sure it would give a better perspective.

#6 ·
The Protege wasn't even around for 20 years.

I'm just trying to figure out what motor was in it. If it's a 91-94 1st gen Protege then it has either the B8 SOHC (which he'd be stupid for boosting) or the BP DOHC in the LX trim, which if tuned properly, should have dickstomped you.

If it's an FS car, then congratulations on beating a 200whp car. (unless he has a built motor.)

#7 ·
I'm not up on my Mazda's and my wiki skills failed me on the gens. It's a 94 I'm pretty sure. I remember him talking about a 1.8, that's about all I know about it. I tried to find a picture of it. All I have is this old grainy video from years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.