502 Street Scene Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking at new head units for my car and performance is a must. I am running factory speakers (which are pretty nice anyways), and have a Kicker L7 in the trunk. I noticed that some head units have a 2 volt pre-amp output for the sub and some have 2.2, while others 2.5, 4.0 or 5.0. The question is does anyone know how much of a difference there is in a 2.0 volt and a 5.0 volt (neg rep for anyone who says 3 volts)?

Which of the two seems to be a better deal???

Pioneer

or

JVC

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
Definately go with the JVC. Ive installed about 5 of the JVC's and I actually own a Pioneer 5700dvd ... and I still think the JVC has better features. The JVC also has an easy emergency break defeat method (just tie the e-break wire from the head unit to ground) vs. the pioneer which you either have to put in a relay or activate a switch every time you watch a dvd. Plus, Pioneer's are notorious for noise problems. My pioneer sucks, i'll admit it - its noisey with the engine off (just plain noisey preamp signal) and they're really susceptable to alternator whine.

Also, concerning voltage. Always try to go with a head unit with higher preout voltages. Makes for an overall stronger signal to your amp. Some amps have more sensativity when it comes to preamp input signal and some dont, hence the variations in voltage output from headunit to headunit. There really should be an ISO standard for it, but radio company's are apparently ghey about doing so.

·
Nismo power
1,025 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The higher the voltage the cleaner and stronger the signal is to the amp. Which is better for the amp and for you ears.

Most in dash video head units out there only have 2 volt preamp outputs.

As for the two you are looking at I would choose neither. I don't like JVC or Pioneer. Get a Clarion or Kenwood.

Check these out:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/CompareItems.aspx?CompareItems=18481,18472,17283,16941
not really close to what i posted. but thanks for trying (seriously).

the screen display on the JVC looks kinda sketchy, that is my only hold back... any way to find out the DPI on one of these??
does anyone know what all the Crutchfield kit comes with??

·
Registered
189 Posts
Definately go with the JVC. Ive installed about 5 of the JVC's and I actually own a Pioneer 5700dvd ... and I still think the JVC has better features. The JVC also has an easy emergency break defeat method (just tie the e-break wire from the head unit to ground) vs. the pioneer which you either have to put in a relay or activate a switch every time you watch a dvd. Plus, Pioneer's are notorious for noise problems. My pioneer sucks, i'll admit it - its noisey with the engine off (just plain noisey preamp signal) and they're really susceptable to alternator whine.

Also, concerning voltage. Always try to go with a head unit with higher preout voltages. Makes for an overall stronger signal to your amp. Some amps have more sensativity when it comes to preamp input signal and some dont, hence the variations in voltage output from headunit to headunit. There really should be an ISO standard for it, but radio company's are apparently ghey about doing so.
The pioneer is junk. I cant get that threw Kenneth's mind. Maybe you can talk some since into him.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
The pioneer is junk. I cant get that threw Kenneth's mind. Maybe you can talk some since into him.
lol. dunno what to tell ya bro. I hate pioneer, and now-a-days im finding the higher end JVC units to be way nicer.

Personally I think the two companies that dominate in head units (if you take price out of the picture) is Alpine and Eclipse. JVC and Clairion are the next ones down the list if you consider price. Pioneer is dead dead dead dead last.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WHAT are you all talking about? I went to Best Buy, Circuit City, L&S Audio, Cool Cars, Discount Audio, Discount Car Audio, and a couple other places and they all said that Pioneer is the way to go. I actually purchased a Pioneer Premier DEH-P591IB and it is absolutely awesome.
BTW I ended up getting an in-dash single din. decided against the DVD player thing. if i want one later i can add a screen to it, comes with the outputs.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,916 Posts
WHAT are you all talking about? I went to Best Buy, Circuit City, L&S Audio, Cool Cars, Discount Audio, Discount Car Audio, and a couple other places and they all said that Pioneer is the way to go.
All of which are high quality equipment and installation places :blink:

Sorry, but those guys just push whatever they have for sale and tell you whatever you want to hear. But some people like being told what they want to hear so I guess whatever works for you, works.

·
Ecu HackAr
6,059 Posts
All of which are high quality equipment and installation places :blink:

Sorry, but those guys just push whatever they have for sale and tell you whatever you want to hear. But some people like being told what they want to hear so I guess whatever works for you, works.
x2, they push flashy not quality.

But don't get me wrong pioneer is a good budject player, but its no where near the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts