502 Street Scene Forums banner

2015 Class questions

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  OneBadRSX05 
#1 ·
I've recently picked up a 1986 Thunderbird Turbo coupe (2.3 turbo, 5 speed) and I'd like to use it for Autocross in this upcoming season. The classes are very confusing on the SCCA website and I'd like a definite answer on what I can and cant do to stay competitive in my class.

I'm looking at tires and there is not much out there in the stock size of 225/60/15. Can I change to a larger wheel diameter and stay in the stock class? Can I add weld in subframe connectors? Can I change to lowering springs and aftermarket struts and shocks?

#2 ·
That's a cool car, nice find! It is a G stock car, in stock you can increase (or decrease) your wheel diameter 1” from OEM but cannot change width or offset. Other than that you can pretty much only add either a front or rear sway bar but not both, shocks are open but you cannot change springs nor modify the subframes.

I would highly recommend looking into CAM-C, cam stands for Classic American Muscle and your car would fit into the “C” or contemporary class which is 1978 or newer cars similar to yours. It is an anything goes class with the only real restriction is you must run 200tw minimum street tires.

You can also look into STO (kyscca only class, not recognized in other regions)where like CAM anything goes but you must run “street tires” which would be 200tw minimum.

Other classes are ESP and SM which do not allow as many modifications as CAM but you can run "R-comp" street race tires.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to stay in a stock class and not sink a ton of money into this thing. I guess I'll just have to find some decent 200+ tires in 15 or 16". CAM will be something for my other 86 T-bird which is basically going to be a restomod / pro-touring car. The only stock components will be the body work and glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.