502 Street Scene Forums banner

Labor rate information and changes for 2007

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  aelucky83 
#1 · (Edited)
I get a lot of PMs from people asking how much we charge an hour. Our labor rate is $70/hr. If you are having a problem with your car's driveability, performance or any other problem requiring diagnostic time we charge $80/hr to inspect/diagnose the problems and there is a one hour minimum for diagnostics.

We have a $50 minimum charge for any labor job that is not diagnostic type, however if a car needs to be racked for any reason then the minimum labor charge regardless of job type is one hour ($70).

Starting in Feb 07 we are also implementing a rack fee for cars that are ridiculously lowered. I am tired of spending 45 minutes racking a car that is dumped on a body kit. Anything with a body kit or excessively lowered which requires us to use multiple jacks, wood/boards, magic, moon dust etc to rack the car is getting charged a flat fee of $35. Trust me when I say that your car will handle better if it isn't lowered 5 inches.

Furthermore, and this has been a long time coming, if you are bringing in a car from another shop, a buddy's garage, or anything where other people have already been working on it and/or its currently torn apart then the labor rate for the entire job is $100/hr. For the past year and a half 75% of my business is what I call "clean up batter" jobs, its basically where we get to come into a nightmare and sort the shitstorm out. While I don't mind doing it at all, what I do mind is how much money I lose because doing a clean up job always takes twice as long as it should if done right. So being who I am I tend to cut people breaks on the bill and I would like to actually own a profitable business one day. So, $100/hr if you're working with a problem child or its been sitting at your dog's house torn apart for 2 years because he was going to give you the mad hook up.

Lastly, concerning engine swaps, I will no longer install swaps that I do not provide. This new policy stems from the above. Customer supplied swaps are always cheaper than my swaps, I wonder why. They are cheap for a reason. The customer gets a cheap swap but gets frustrated when they're charged more to clean it up and make it 100%. It just doesn't make sense. I have been doing this long enough to where I have relationships with who I source engines from. Make your swap painless on yourself, just drop off the car and a deposit...2-3 days later it will be done and there are no surprises. It cant get any easier.

If anyone has any questions feel free to call anytime M-F 8-4, ask for Bill

-bill

See less See more
#10 ·
damn, does my car count as a fuckup i i bring you my motor out of the car ready to be worked on and i buy all of my new rods/pistons from you? I have the money now and I'm ready to go, but i dont want to be charged an extra 30 an hour for it :(

#15 ·
Vince, since we have been talking about this prior to the changes then dont worry about it. But from now on yes.

-bill

#17 ·
question for Bill

hey billl this is daniel with the 98 eagle talon that was in there not to long ago..i have a question about the running rich part of my car...do you think it could be one or maybe two of my injectors could be stickin open for some reason? and i also got the motor to turn by hand in my garage..it just took a second..the car hasn't been drivin in a while..just let me know what you think...daniel :hammer:

#21 ·
hey i was wondering what u guys charge for tuning and do u have a in house dyno??

I have a SR20DET powered S13 with stock turbo, wanting to tune for 12PSI and nitrous...let me know what ur prices are..im guessing about 4 hours of tuning should be more then enough and the electronics i have are a Safc 2 and a inovate wideband 02. let me know what u can do..

Also I read about ur shops break-in...sorry that happened..wish u and autolab best of luck in retrieving the stolen goods.

feel free to PM me with details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.