502 Street Scene Forums banner

sbc to ls1 fc rx7

46K views 175 replies 50 participants last post by  mtmetzger 
#1 · (Edited)
some might remember when i started this build back in dec 09, well here it all is copied over and after this post the next one will be up to date with new pics!

87 Turbo II v8 build :)
Ok guys some of you may have saw me post a couple of times on here and there, im still very new to this, but am learning very fast...

I already have a 11.4-1 integra gsr, but thats just not fast enough and its my dd so i decided to build a REAL FAST car with RWD and all

So i bought this TII blue shell for 150, it still has the TII hood, rear end, and brakes, all it needs now is a swap and some interior love.

So far i have got a nitrous (blue nos) kit, ordered my granny mounts and ill be using a sbc and probably a t5 trans, i really want a t56 but that will have to come after i graduate college in may.

The car will be a weekend toy with some autocross, drag, and some naughty street action to show some old buddies whats up.

here are some pics of the car as it sits now previous owners have had the inside color matched and the engine bay is in primer

as it sits now previous owners have had the inside color matched and the engine bay is in primer

here is the setup i'll be putting in it,

small block 355 with a street voodoo cam with edlebrock intake manifold and 650 carb. with a 700r transmission with overdrive for the 4.10 gears in the TII rear

i also still have a wet kit (which is for sale) if i feel the need to hammer more :bigun2:

and more to come

video of the sbc running

http://s345.photobucket.com/albums/p386/atli126/?action=view&current=bretsstuffnov109-353.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zIMSD_bnUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCDKT9RRQGg

so far i have the grannys mount kit, TII rear end yolk, and the sway bar spacers, nos wet kit with 2 10lb bottles

I have paid majority of the labor to my homeboy (professional) who is doing it.
I got the price today for the paint to paint the engine bay (now primer) and the front bumper (now black) to match the car. (might need someone to spray it for me). Once the motor is in and set I will get the driveshaft done to match the tII rear end

Im going to run 17x7 +20 dodge magnum steelies (NEW DANGO) to start with 225/45/17 front and 235/45/17 in the rear, then eventually ill run 255's in the rear (new wheels).

still need keys for the car

looking at pricing to get keys made to my locks or buying all the keys and locks used off ebay for 65 bux...

also still need an interior for the car, dont even have seats

so far with all that i only have about 2k in this so im rockin out with the cheapness of this build so far!!

12-25-09
UPDATE

got some new wheels and tires to put on the car they are 17x7 +20 offset, only paid 130 bucks for the wheels and the tires mounted and balanced and i'm using 225/45/17 up front and 235/45/17 in the rear, the wheels are from a dodge charger and im thinking the +20 offset will really help them sit flush with the fenders, now i need to start thinking about what setup im going to use and how much im going to have to camber them in to sit flush, and if ill have to roll the fenders also...

but actually i need to slow down on suspension and get the motor in the car and running and driving! lol

I'll get pics up on my next post

thanks, and MERRY CHRISTMAS

here are some pics

12-27-09
we actually moved the car to my mechanics house too, who is doing the swap for me, so now he has the car, sbc 350, and the mounts, once the engine is in the car, the driveshaft will be cut to fit, as i kept it outta the regal bc it was already on the trans
:yay:

1-19-10

update!

last week i went to my employers automotive paint store (sherwin williams) and dropped 170 for all the stuff needed to wrap the garage, car and get the engine bay painted and the front bumper to match the car.

We are also starting to clean up the motor and paint it black.

I have a NOS kit with two 10 lb bottles now but am really rethinking the nitrous and looking into easy turbo setups, i just dont wanna drop big money with a carb setup and if i go Fuel injection im starting with a whole different engine (like ls1 or the 6.0 lq9 outta the trucks)

1-27-09

ok for anyone who cares...

some bad news, while checking the casting numbers i found out that i actually have a 305 not a sbc 350, and its a flat tappet engine... so even with the heads, cam, carb etc it will prob still not make 250...

also we pulled the valve covers off and found alot of sludge

so now im debating on selling it all and getting a 5.3 lq4 truck engine and going the fuel injection way or just selling the 305 and buying a used "real" 350

chime in and give me some input

2-12-10

UPDATE!

i bought a 5.3 outta 00 silverado this weekend with only 80k on it, complete from oil pan to intake, with pcm and wiring harness

the ls1 intake manifold should be here this week...

i have got the keys made and finally transferred this heap into my name and i ended up getting the car, title, keys and it transferred for 400 after all the bs was said and done so im pretty happy with that!

im now trying to sell my 305/700r setup so i can get the rest of the stuff i still need

i have sent my grannys cradle back to get the ls1 piece...

still just waiting on the weather to clear so we can paint the front bumper and the engine bay to match the color of the car (fucking snow storms)

im looking into getting a ls6 z06 cam and ls6 springs in the engine b4 we put it in the car too (30 or so hp increase!)

i think thats all for now!

not me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSm2oiNgaeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNVidkNM7I

this is kinda what im shooting for, but not a full out drag car just yet!

http://wiki.ls1tech.com/forums/force...-sec-pass.html

thanks for all the comments, i just sold my old 305/700r swap today for $1000, so now ive got the rest of the money to get what i need to finish the car!!!!!!!

Yaaaaaaaaaa whoooooooooo

i paid 1100 for the car, pulled all the good stuff out and sold the car for 400 so i had 700 in the good stuff, but all i sold him was the engine/trans, so i still got some good stuff left over, gauges, radiator, etc...

now i just gotta pick up a 4l60e and the rest of the stuff

also just got an aluminum c4 driveshaft off ebay for 38 bucks shipped!

ordered some new stuff

ls1 intake manifold (thanks digitalsolo)

ls6 injectors, and new tps from wally5.0

fd/ls1 harness and pcm tuned for ls1 with i/h/e (will be tuned later on)
http://www.v8rx7forum.com/showthread...ed-harness-ecu

*still looking for the z06/ls6 cam and springs needed to help the cam

* still need the ls1 fuel rails

*Probably a t56 but maybe a 4l60e or 4l80e

ALL THIS WAS FROM MY LAST BUILD THREAD THAT GOT CLOSED LAST YEAR AND I COULD NEVER GET IT BROUGHT BACK UP!

THEN I LOST MY WHOLE BUILD THREAD ON V8RX7FORUM WHEN IT SHUT DOWN!!!!

SO HERE IT IS A YEAR LATER AND STILL CHUGGIN ALONG ON THE BUILD THREAD!

See less See more
#108 ·
So I started pulling the transmission out to put the new T56 transmission in. What a pain in the ass this job is. I pretty much had to take apart the whole car. At one point I thought I might have to pull the engine. But alas the old t5 transmission is out and the new T56 is in, we were having some problems last night getting it fully mounted so we called it a night and I'll be back at it Friday.

And it up going with a ls7 clutch and flywheel setup. Also got a new throw out bearing to go with it all.

#110 ·
I actually had one from the howe racing slave and tob, but it's all different from the oem unit. What did you get?

#111 ·
#113 ·
Still working on swapping the t56 in. Still gotta pull it back out now that I have the correct pilot bearing to make it all work now... (already broke the bellhousing twice

#116 ·
Been busy with other projects. But I plan on attacking it tomorrow night. Then finishing it up Friday so I can learn to drive this beast at the autox school on saturday and kick some local arse on Sunday!

#117 ·
Well got the transmission out (4th time) and were able to pull out the pilot bearing with the use of some autozone loner tools (blind hole puller ftmfing win) Unfortunately he was out of (welding) gas to fix the bell housing so that must wait till Friday. I do think it will work though with the new smaller pilot bearing. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to the autocross school this weekend in the rx7, but i always have the miata...

I do think I will have some hiccups with the new T56 transmission mount and the existing exhaust setup and making all that work will take a while to get in order...

#118 ·
Bret,

Give me a shout if you need a hand or need someone to brainstorm with. I've been through this teething process a few times now, and fully understand the levels of pain that it can cause.

Shawn

#119 ·
Thanks man. I think it's just a process of taking it all apart and putting it back together now...

#120 ·
Redid the transmission to a t56 and took out the cutouts. Should be amazing now! This is what I should have did in the beginning.

Also the 3 dhm cutouts are for sale!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

#123 ·
Please help me win a Atomic MSD LS EFI system
http://j.mp/14hmh1v

I am currently in the top 3.

Thanks in advance

Bret

#126 ·
Yeah I could have went back to 275s in the rear, but I want to try to make them last longer. But these 255s do hook better than the wore out star specs :)

And thanks for voting.

Yes I only made it to lsfest on Sunday :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

#127 ·
I may be messaging you to come look at yours one day when i start the actual assembly of mine. Still in the parts acquisition phase. I have the car and the LQ4 so far. But it's on hold while I finish some other projects up to free up more cash.

Mine has the spoiler deleted as well, but I have a spoiler to try to put on it. Have some Mustang Bullitt wheels for it too.

voted for ya twice tho. :D

#128 ·
sweet. thanks for the vote. we welded my holes up and smoothed them down btw

#129 ·
The ones on mine are smoothed as well. Plus the previous owner shaved the doorhandles etc. I am going to shave and fill all the holes in the engine bay also. No heater box or anything. I'm caging/fuel cell/full race mode on mine. But still a "street car".

#131 ·
#136 ·
Looking great but I agree with this 110%:

#133 ·
Thanks. Here are some my cousin got with his rebel from WKU and LSFEST in bg.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.