502 Street Scene Forums banner

E36 M3- What the hell

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  undecided 
#1 · (Edited)
Does this thing do???????

1998 BMW M3 Convertible.

Three position switch to the left of the wheel with a volume knob on top. Three positions- 1, 2, and 3. 1 and 3 makes a weird digital alarm sound for 2 seconds or so, and the middle does nothing- I assume an off setting. The 1 and 3 settings also turn a small light by the gear shifter and convertible top control from 1- orange colored light, 2- off and 3- green colored light. In the picture attached, the switch is in the 1 setting.

The sound it makes on the 1 and 3 setting has gone off while driving randomly, but I have only heard it once or twice with out any explanation. The volume knob obviously changes the sound level of that weird alarm sound.

I have no clue what this does. If anyone out there has any knowledge about this, please let me know. Driving me nuts. I've looked a little on the BMW forums, but came up dry.

Thanks.

#16 ·
THANK YOU! This is exactly what it is. The knob switches between city and highway, and there should be front and rear sensors, but they have either been removed or hidden really well. I need to see if I can follow some wires to see if they are still around because I have heard it go off, just not very often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.