502 Street Scene Forums banner

HOWTO: Replace your headliner

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  1.8tjettagrl 
#1 ·
So, I was driving down the street the Buick the other day, and noticed I was being covered in little sticky brown foam bits. I looked behind me to find this:

Damnit. Need a new headliner. So, here's the procedure.

1) Take out all the plastic interior trim that's holding it in

2) Carefully remove the headliner and try not to crack it in half

3) Peel off the old fabric and carefully scrape all the foam off the Styrofoam shell

3) Now the fun part. If you haven't already, go to a fabric store and get two yards of headliner cloth (it has the smooshy foam backing attached) in your desired color, along with a can of headliner adhesive

4) Lay your clean shell on a table, and apply the spray adhesive according to the instructions on the can. If the shell isn't clean, and you don't follow the adhesive instructions, it WILL NOT STICK. So do this part right.

5) Lay the cloth onto the shell after you've properly applied the adhesive to both the cloth and shell. Carefully stretch it into any contours or indents

6) LET IT DRY

7) Trim off the excess cloth, poke or cut out any holes that need to be in the liner for coat hooks and dome lights

8) Carefully put it back in the car

That's it! Easy peasey. You can do it in an afternoon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah I need a new headliner...however with all the side airbags, I'm afraid I'd mess something up even trying it myself.

#4 ·
Lol well yes figured that much. But I have always been willing to get my hand dirty and do shit for myself sooooo.... Summer project yay!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.