Differences between .223 rounds - 502StreetScene
Forum Garage

Remember Me?
Go Back   502StreetScene > 502 Community & Interest > Area 51 > Guns, Ammo & Grenades

Thanks Thanks:  0

Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
coupatroopa

coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa
Differences between .223 rounds
What is the differences between the .223 NATO, 223 Wylde, and the rest of the .223 world? I have been looking at some rifles that are chambered in .223 but I have stumbled upon something different every time I look.

For example here are some specs of a AR pistol that I have been looking at.

.223/5.56 “Wylde” AR pistol (Wylde chambering for high accuracy with sporting and military ammo)
Premium 7.5 inch phosphate coated chrome lined barrel
Full automatic rated premium bolt carrier
Forged aluminum upper and lower receivers
Pistol buffer with recoil pad
4.5” aluminum free float quad rail
A2 Muzzle brake
Bushnell 1X red Dot scope with riser ($120 value)
30 round magazine included
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
talbott

talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott
It's all about the pressure rating for the chamber, nothing your going to notice unless your some type of competition shooter but .223 Wylde is the best barrel to get, you can feed anything down the pipe no problem.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
jbody09
S2k ftw

jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09
Didnt realize anyone actually called it .223 nato.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
talbott

talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott talbott
They don't, the nato round is 5.56. I think that's what he meant. Also to note, most barrels are going to be chambered in 5.56 meaning you can shoot 5.56 nato and .223 rem through them. A .223 wylde barrel is kinda rare and ammo is even more rare so there's really no point in getting one unless it's a better deal. Also the 5.56 round is not necessarily better just because the number is higher, it's a completely different rating system. In fact it's prett hard to find good home defense rounds in 5.56, most people opt for lower grain rounds to prevent over penetration and there just aren't many available in the US in 5.56. The .223 rem performs just as well and in some cases better simply because more ammo companies make the round and come up with great solutions in that chamber for almost any situation. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
talbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
coupatroopa

coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa coupatroopa
I did not mean to call the .223 a nato round. I know that 5.56 is the nato round. But as I stated before I have looked at a few rifles that had a Wylde barrel and I can pick it up at a good price. Like the specs I posted above I can get the pistol for 500. Would it be worth me getting? What are the full benefits of this barrel vs. all others.
coupatroopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
talbott

Nothing that you would probably use, the only difference is that it allows you to shoot 5.56, .223 rem and .223 wylde. Most of the others are only rated for 5.56 and .223 rem. but you won't noti any difference when shooting any of these rounds. That's a decent price for the gun and I'm not downing it by any means, just saying that having a wylde barrel is unnecessary, but if it's a good deal and there's not a better deal for a 5.56 barrel then go for it, they are by no means any better or worse than other barrels, just different in ways most people won't utilize.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
coupatroopa

Quote:
16 inch stainless steel .223 Wylde barrel fluted for reduced weight and improved cooling ($300 value)
Premium stainless muzzle brake ($70 value)
Bushmaster lower and bolt carrier (full auto rated)
Trinity super-slimline free float handguard ($169 value)
Magpul ACS-L stock ($79.00 value)
Hogue soft pistol grip ($20 value)
Front grip with pop out bipod ($30 value)
Carry handle / scope riser with adjustable match sight ($65.00 value)
Fold down Front sight ($40 value)
Leapers/UTG 3-9 x 32 Bug Buster scope with illuminated (red/green/blue) reticule ($159 value)
30 round magazine
I could get that one for $799.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
talbott

That's not a bad deal, I have built basic ones recently for under 550 and decked out ones similar to this for under 650 but didn't have as nice of a barrel, that's a decent price for that gun and if you don't feel like building one for a little cheaper then it's a really good deal, I sold one I built a while back that is similar for over 900 just last week. That barrel is overkill but very nice for the price. One word of caution though, if you plan to use this for home defense I'd switch out that muzzle break for a factory birdcage style or something similar, that thing will cause permanent hearing loss indoors and the benefits are so minimal you won't even notice, especially in an emergency situation.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
jbody09
S2k ftw

jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09 jbody09
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbott View Post
That's not a bad deal, I have built basic ones recently for under 550 and decked out ones similar to this for under 650 but didn't have as nice of a barrel, that's a decent price for that gun and if you don't feel like building one for a little cheaper then it's a really good deal, I sold one I built a while back that is similar for over 900 just last week. That barrel is overkill but very nice for the price. One word of caution though, if you plan to use this for home defense I'd switch out that muzzle break for a factory birdcage style or something similar, that thing will cause permanent hearing loss indoors and the benefits are so minimal you won't even notice, especially in an emergency situation.
Sounds like AR prices have come down quite a bit.i havent looked at them for a while, but prices were ridiculously inflated for a while.

I built my last one for ~900 with magpul accessories and an optic probably about a year ago.
jbody09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 PM   #10
talbott

Yea they have, so many companies are making parts now there is a ton of competition
Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
coupatroopa

Quote:
How much would you build me on for? I would like to participate and learn.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #12
DevilDogge

DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge DevilDogge
talbott seems to have you squared away. When I built my two ARs, I learned that a rifle chambered in .223 Remington shouldn't shoot 5.56, however a rifle chambered in 5.56 can also shoot .223 Remington. I wouldn't ever buy a .223 Remington chambered rifle.
DevilDogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #13
talbott

Correct, and a rifle chambered in .223 wylde can shoot all three. Coopatroopa, pm me and we can figure something out, I'm happy to help.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 PM   #14
bait
Fear the Egg

bait bait bait bait bait bait bait bait bait bait bait
Send a message via AIM to bait
Quote:
Correct, and a rifle chambered in .223 wylde can shoot all three. Coopatroopa, pm me and we can figure something out, I'm happy to help.
can you post a link to .223 wylde ammo?
bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:29 AM   #15
talbott

I could but I'm too lazy, it's pretty rare, I bet luckygunner had some and I think I may have seen a few boxes at bass pro once, just google it and I'm sure you'll find some.