502 Street Scene Forums banner

What are you up to lately?

5K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  oldskool 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, since some people actually still roll through here, I thought I'd post up and tell what I'm up to, and see what others may still be doing.

I still can't get enough of anything car related. Except Hondas, of course :arr: so I've picked up multiple projects the last year or so. Grabbed up an '05 RX8 that had a blown engine and some other issues to redo. My son is something of a rotary nut, so we went through an rebuilt the engine, cleaned it all up, got it all looking nice. Of course now my wife says "9 is too many sell some cars" so it's on the block. Anyway here's some recent pics of it:

Some time before then I had picked up an 87 RX7 though to build a bit of a race car out of. It ran, but engine was N/A and in need of a rebuild, whole car was gutted inside, but body was straight, rust free, and in primer. So I tore into it while we were ordering parts for the RX8 and started poking around at it. Plans were for a full bridge ported NA-T conversion with a big turbo.

Picked up a set of wheels to replace the steelies:

Looked pretty good on it but the drag radials didn't like the chopped springs the previous owner had on it. Rub city.

But I went ahead and tore into it. Started ripping out any wires, brackets, or other unnecessary BS under the hood, cleaning it up, and gave it some new paint:

Around this time a friend expressed an interest in the car with a street ported NA setup, in trade for a 87 Turbo 2 shell he had. Wanted it up, running, driving. So we went back and forth swapping parts between cars and working out the details. Ended up making the deal. Now, my phone wiped so I lost pretty much every picture I owned that wasn't already backed up to photobucket. Argh. Stole a couple from the new owner's fb page but I slapped in an interior, we put together a nice engine, and swapped out cars:

Picked this up:

Kept my wheels, so they're on it now:

Have the drivetrain for it, needs a rebuild/port work/cleaning/paint:
(oh, and installed lol)

And that's basically how it sits now, on hold until I get to it. I still have my 240sx, but then engine's on it's last leg. Got all the parts to rebuild it, including a spare SR20 disassembled in the garage, but the wife's ultimatum stands: Sell some cars. Now. So, it sits until I empty the driveway a bit. Just sold the Fiero I've had for ages, trying to ditch an SUV and my truck, as well as the RX8. Should get her off my back as well as net me a nice chunk of cash I can sneak under the hoods of the other ones I manage to keep. Mostly I just think she's bad because I bought this to "daily":

Shit photo is shit. Only one I have left after the wipe though.

2016 Mustang GT Performance Package. I special ordered it March 1st last year, picked it up May 1st. Deep Impact Blue (last year it was offered, had to have that color) with a 6 speed. Premium package, leather, shaker audio, nav, pretty much all the options. I'm old I like my comforts lol. Plus, in 16 there was the option to have the standard black performance package wheels finished in silver. I hate black wheels, which is why I hadn't ordered a '15. Sold. Only thing I've done to it is a K&N filter. So far. I bought an SCT X4 tuner, but have yet to use it (not so sure I want to void my warranty just yet lol) and in the next few weeks I'm likely ordering a Corsa Extreme exhaust for it.

Anyway, that's some of what I've been up to lately. Anybody else got some cool shit going down?

See less See more
#5 ·
Still have my MS6 for a daily. It started to develop some gear whine in the PTO, so I picked up a gently used one with a set of billet case caps installed. While it's apart, I figured I might as well replace the clutch with a Southbend Stage 2 w/flywheel, and with that the rear main seal and master/slave cylinders. And since it'll be down for a minute, I went ahead and got some Bilsteins and Corksport springs along with SPC adj. front balljoints and rear camber arms to go with the Whiteline RSB that's been sitting in my garage for ages. And since the PTO is out of the way, may go on and toss the 3" downpipe on there as well. And since it'll have better stance, I picked up a set of Work Equip 05's as a long term summer rebuild project to make it sit nice.

Maintenance, man. It really adds up!

#7 ·
Gotta hate when you neglect your car and maintenance piles up like that. Wife just doesn't understand how I can let my car go that far and cost so much. It's quite the shame. :loco:

#8 ·
Oh, and I did some stuff earlier tonight. Cleared a spot on the lift and did some things. Stock exhaust tips vs Corsa Extreme catback and tips.

#11 · (Edited)
Shhhh nothing to see there.

But yeah, my son and I rent shop space from a friend who owns an upholstery shop. It's his car. you can see it peeking in the background of a couple other pics I posted I think. Here's a link to an Instagram pic one of the guys who helped me with my exhaust install posted up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQzGjj7BDt5/?hl=en

#13 ·
I was helping do a couple last minute things to it earlier today. Took the body off and dug into the wiring to put in a battery killswitch. Needs it for Carl Casper this weekend, he'll have it there. It's a pretty cool ride for sure. Hand formed aluminum body, custom built frame, Cobra IRS rear suspension, Tremec T5, decently built 302. And at 2300 pounds, that makes for a pretty wild ride. Especially since it's pretty open inside and around your legs, I mean the trans is basically just right there, and you can just reach down under the dash and shove your hand through the firewall. It's all open. Valve covers say "White Knuckles" on them for a reason lol. I'd post more pics but my phone wiped the SD card a month or so ago and I lost everything. Maybe I'll snap a few more after he gets it back this weekend after the show.

#14 ·
#25 ·
Update: working on imports ftl. I had to drop the damn subframe out of the car just to access four bolts to remove the diff mount, which was split in twain from rugged daily driven duties. Not only that, I almost lost a pinky shoehorning the new sway bar up in between the diff and subframe.

No worries, guess I'll just have to turn my attention to this old dinosaur instead...

#27 ·
Where are you using that shop in Clarksville? I'll bring you my Miata that hasn't started or ran in 3 years if you're bored. :)

I bought a 17 Sonata, with a turbo. So I can pretend like I'm cool. But it has a great warranty and tons of room for both kiddos. So...

#28 · (Edited)
Well, we moved to another building. The guy we rent space from was renting the Clarksville one, and bought his own building in Jeffersonville. He does automotive upholstery, we just fiddle about with a little bit of everything lol. We're full up on stuff to wok on right now, got 3 engine rebuilds sitting waiting. But down the road hit me up if you're serious we may be able to poke it a couple times with a stick and see what happens lol

And now for new happenings: I've gotten into more trouble since the last post. May end up divorced lol. Wife says I have a car hoarding problem, I'm back in the double digits again. lol

Got some new wheels for the stang. Plastidipped them gold to see if I liked it before I blew the cash on powdercoating. Still haven't put them on the car though lol

Bought a tow rig/winter 4x4 to keep miles off the Crowdsurfer and save lives

Sold the white RX8 and used my new truck to pick up a red one

Aftermarket wheels/exhaust. Blown engine. Time for a rebuild.

Then I found and bought this gem:

For real, little old lady owned. She was a neighbor at my old house for years, my son lives there now. When I stopped down there one day I was talking to her, she retired and the car broke down and she left it in a garage at her mother's house 2 years ago. I picked it up not running for me and my son to tinker with. She owned it since 1984, all original, minimal rust, 125k miles. I got it running, started tuning it up, then the wife found out where I hide all the toys I don't want her to know about. (The shop)
Long story short, it's for sale now. lol

#29 ·
Haha, at least its good taste in cars/trucks you keep bringing home! I've wanted a Bronco like that for SOOO long.

Just hit me up when you've got some time/free space. The car is just sitting in Scottsburg, So its no rush.

#31 · (Edited)
Nice! I did some fiddling on the Celica, got it running good, and sold it to a guy who had the time and inclination to fix it up. I've got so many projects going right now, I wasn't going to get to it. That and I found out in September I had a heart condition when I dropped out off the assembly line and got sent to the E.R. Need to take it a bit easier and focus on narrowing down the side projects. BUT I picked this up in December:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

1 owner all original 1975 Camaro. My aunt bought it new. Had an engine fire about 10-15 years ago and it's sat since. She wanted it out of the way and her kids aren't into cars, so being my Godmother she called me. i drove out to Evansville the week before Christmas and drove home with another project. My wife was thrilled. (sarcasm) It's going to get a full resto in between my other projects, and I'm thinking I'll put the original engine up in storage and stuff the 6.0 iron block LSx engine I've got in the back corner of my garage in it for fun driver status.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.