502 Street Scene Forums banner

Why should I....

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Valex 
#1 ·
...use one of your razors over my Gillette Pro Glide? I'm open to the idea of a change, but am seriously razor stupid. Recommendations?

#2 ·
I wrote a blog post explaining a few of the reasons I prefer the old school method:

Link to Blog Post

In short:
  • It is a higher quality shave (closer, less irritaion, etc)
  • It is cheaper in most cases
  • It is more environmentally friendly - no throwing out plastic cartridges
  • Most products are all natural
  • It is better for sensitive skin (especially with the right choices in soaps/alum/aftershaves)

Everyone's reasons vary, but those are some good (and popular) reasons that a lot of people have made the switch.

If you have any other questions let me know, I'm more than happy to share my experience!

#5 ·
I just wanted to use them whenever it was convenient and maybe a little money of the course of a few years, but nowt that I've used it a couple times, I won't go back to a normal razor.

IT's going to take some getting used to, but the nostalgia factor is kinda awesome. The shave is closer than ever. The whole process is just a nice routine to get into, and my face feels better after shaving with these razors than with the disposable types.

The shave soaps are unique also, which I really enjoy. I've already talked to Kyle about buying some different types of soaps, even though a $6 puck will last months for me.

#7 ·
I will make one disagreement, but it's by no means a negative.

You say closer shave, but I don't find that to be true. The million blade off the shelf razor these days are really aggressive cuts and will get damn close. For a while I thought that was the measurement of how good a razor was, but it's not people, it really isnt.

A good blade will get you close, but you'll still feel just a tiny bit of hair even if you go against the grain. However, that's what would happen in 1 hour after shaving with a 34 blade monster. The difference is that a good single blade gets close enough that you feel smooth, but not too close where it will irritate the skin.

I have extremely sensitive skin, so much so that if I scratch my skin, it almost instantly turns very red and raises up from inflammation. Going from a 'gillete' to a good DE razor was night and day for me, I don't have to worry about irritation or razor burn bumps anymore. Id never go back. I even travel with them so that I don't have to use a 'pro glide'.

#8 ·
I always stretched my cartridges as long as I could before swapping out a new one (they're too damn expensive!). So while the first 1-3 shaves might be of comparable quality to a DE razor, those 2nd-3rd weeks of shaves were awful. So in that respect, a cheap DE blade that I can toss every 2-3 shaves gives much better shaves overall.

I also think the soaps/alum/aftershaves are of higher quality than off the shelf goo, and having a more robust shaving process that I follow has greatly improved my skin health.

Everyone's mileage will vary though. Half the fun is finding that combinations of supplies and products that really work well for you, it's like everyone has their own secret recipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.