Educate me on TDIs - Page 2 - 502StreetScene
Forum Garage

Remember Me?
Go Back   502StreetScene > Automotive & Motorsports > Specific Automotive Tech & DIY > Volkswagen/Audi

Thanks Thanks:  0

Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
BennettVW
On-ramp enthusiast

BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW
Send a message via AIM to BennettVW
The DSGs had issues the first year or so. The newer ones dont have the same issues. I havent seen very many glaring issues with the common rail diesels yet. There was a problem with hot starts but I believe that has been noticed by VW and fixed. I cant remember for sure if they had the cam follower issues like the 2.0T cars did though. Ive seen consistently mid 40s on the MPGs. We have tuned a few of the CR cars and have gotten as much as upper 50s on cross country trips. In my opinion they are incredibly reliable and pretty powerful for what they are. As long as routine maintenance is kept up on them they seem like they will go forever.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
drewspeed3
Get Fucked

drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3
Send a message via AIM to drewspeed3
Other than filling up at those weird green handle pumps, is there anything else to know about owning a diesel that a complete noob wouldn't even consider?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
whiteclassicser
I'm Ron Burgandy?

whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser whiteclassicser
We have a silver MK5 at Tafel. I believe its an 07. Pretty fun car to drive with the DSG.
http://www.slowertraffickeepright.com/

1999 Honda Civic Si
whiteclassicser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
rare
Administrator

rare rare rare rare rare rare rare rare rare rare rare
Send a message via AIM to rare
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspeed3 View Post
Other than filling up at those weird green handle pumps, is there anything else to know about owning a diesel that a complete noob wouldn't even consider?
You don't have spark plugs and oil changes are less frequent I believe. Lots of torque but no horsepower. Full of meaningful info, lol.

I've been looking at newer ones too but am worried about all the other stuff on the car going wrong. The engine should be the last thing to break if you maintain it. I'd like to try a DSG just for the best of both worlds but really how spirited are you going to drive a diesel every day. The auto would be a nice change of pace in traffic.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
bytheway
\""/ + ( . Y . )

bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway
Send a message via AIM to bytheway
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspeed3 View Post
Diesel is stinky as hell. Pumps are usually nasty and oily too. But, no. There's really not much of a difference outside of not having spark plugs. They are popular so there's lots of information out there and parts are affordable. With the CR, you need to make sure you use the right motor oil because VW is pretty picky about it. 505.00 rating or something. Also, a lot of people (including me) use a fuel additive at every fill up. It really doesn't matter where you buy the fuel from as its all pretty much the same, but preferably a station that turns their inventory over quickly so you don't risk any sediment or water in the fuel. The additive is needed because the new(ish) ultra low sulfur diesel fuel has greatly reduced lubricity compared to the old stuff. The most expensive part of the engine is the injection pump. It takes the fuel from the fuel pump in tank and boosts the pressure up to thousands of PSI so that only a small amount of fuel is needed to produce an efficient burn. Without proper lube the pump can wear out and they're thousands of dollars to replace. Plus it boosts the cetane rating some which is kind of like octane for diesel. Other than that, it's straight forward. On cold starts (<40*F or so) you need to leave the key in the on position for a few seconds to let the glow plugs get hot for an easier start up.

I wanted one for the same reason as you, I rode in a friend's and was hooked. The baby dick turbo insta-spools and has a very loud turbine so it can be fun to play with. A tune and injector nozzles can easily net you an extra 30-50hp and 60-100 ft lbs for pretty cheap.

03 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
14 VW Jetta Sedan TDI 6spd
bytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
bytheway
\""/ + ( . Y . )

bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway bytheway
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare View Post
You don't have spark plugs and oil changes are less frequent I believe. Lots of torque but no horsepower. Full of meaningful info, lol.

I've been looking at newer ones too but am worried about all the other stuff on the car going wrong. The engine should be the last thing to break if you maintain it. I'd like to try a DSG just for the best of both worlds but really how spirited are you going to drive a diesel every day. The auto would be a nice change of pace in traffic.
Good point, you results may very so I didn't want to throw it out there, but I do 20k oil change intervals. I sent away a sample for testing and they verified I could have even gone more, but I was satisfied with the interval I got out of it. I say it varies because the CR is a totally different engine and your driving habits influence how long your oil will last. I do a lot of highway driving so my oil gets hot enough regularly to burn off the contaminates that can harm your engine. Another interesting note is that you're better off (at least with my car) to beat on it a little bit to keep everything cleaned out in the engine. If you baby it, sediment and gunk can build up that leads to more problems. Usually just one WOT highway ramp pull will do it.

Not only does my car save me on fuel, but it's probably saved me trouble with the law. It's pretty slow so it's hard to speed without noticing. I can floor it in 3rd gear for a good 5-6 seconds and still not break highway speed limits lol. It sounds bad but the torque is so great that its fine for getting around. But the difference between 50-60% throttle and 100% throttle can be hard to discern sometimes. A tune and nozzles are next on my list along with a rear anti sway bar. Not trying to set the world on fire but just upgrade some areas that it was lacking stock. A tune and nozzles can actually improve your mileage if you keep your foot out of the throttle. OH! That's one more thing. There is no "throttle" in the conventional sense. The throttle is controlled solely by the amount of fuel injected in to the cylinders. More fuel = more power / higher rpm's. not sure if the CR engines have one, but my car has an anti shudder valve that closes off the intake like a throttle body to help the engine shut down easier. It automatically activates when you turn the ignition off and stays closed for about 5 seconds so that your engine doesn't keep running if you don't want it to.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
BennettVW
On-ramp enthusiast

BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW BennettVW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare View Post
I'd like to try a DSG just for the best of both worlds but really how spirited are you going to drive a diesel every day. The auto would be a nice change of pace in traffic.
You would actually be very surprised. Weve got a TDI Cup Jetta at C2 that we are slowly modding. Its got a tune, downpipe, and exhaust. Its a DSG and I would put it up against a similarly modded 1.8T. It makes 176whp and 282wtq and still gets mid 40 mpg. Even being a diesel the newer TDIs still have some character and are pretty enjoyable to drive.
BennettVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
drewspeed3
Get Fucked

drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3 drewspeed3
Send a message via AIM to drewspeed3
Some great information in here. Thanks guys. I feel like I've learned a shit load of stuff about TDis today between this thread, VWVortex, and TDICLUB

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
drewspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
metzger
& Gang

metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger
Send a message via AIM to metzger
I'm trying to find a decent pre-04 model just because I'm cheap. In general though, a TDI seems to be the way to go. Saw one on Autotrader yesterday with 397k on it.

1999 Mazda Miata
2003 Ford F150
2010 Audi A3 TDI
2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport

metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
gh0st
I don't like you.

gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st
Send a message via AIM to gh0st Send a message via MSN to gh0st
I'd love to come across an older Passat TDI (prefer a wagon, or did they even make Passat Wagon TDI)
Dylan
2017 Sonata 2.0T...#DadLife
1999 Mazda Miata
gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
BennettVW
On-ramp enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0st View Post
I'd love to come across an older Passat TDI (prefer a wagon, or did they even make Passat Wagon TDI)
They did. They made TDI Jetta Wagon's as well. The new TDI Jetta Sport Wagons are awesome. We flashed this one before we drove to GA. Pulling the Beetle on the trailer from Columbus OH through the mountains he averaged about 30mpg

Another awesome thing about the CR TDI is they dont smell terrible like a diesel usually does, I cant stand the smell of it. The VW "clean diesel" technology is amazing.

Last edited by BennettVW; 06-12-2013 at 04:37 PM..
BennettVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
gh0st
I don't like you.

gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st gh0st
Send a message via AIM to gh0st Send a message via MSN to gh0st
Yes. I want that. Please.
gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #28
metzger
& Gang

metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger metzger
Send a message via AIM to metzger
Lemme get dat Beetle. With a diesel.
metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
bytheway
\""/ + ( . Y . )

I've always been interested in the passat tdi's because they had a larger engine that made like 250 ft lbs stock. I really don't know much about them and they are even harder to find than a Jetta/golf though.

Drew - one last link that should answer everything

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q.htm
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #30
.Foster
Beaters gonna beat

.Foster .Foster .Foster .Foster .Foster .Foster .Foster .Foster .Foster .Foster .Foster
Send a message via AIM to .Foster
TDI cup cars are the sickest shit ever. Get one, canadian. Perfect DD.

06 Mazda RX8. Not stock.
.Foster is offline   Reply With Quote