502 Street Scene Forums banner

Kouki build

32K views 240 replies 31 participants last post by  SilviaSean. 
#1 ·
I bought a 1996 240sx a few weeks ago, its not much to look at right now (because there are a few parts missing) but I'm hopeing by next summer it will be some what put back together. My plans for the car are kouki front end with jdm k's aero front bumper, silvia accessories, Advan rg2 wheels, sr20det or ka24de-t (still undecided), light auto cross, and daily driver. Comments/ suggestions welcome, thanks. Enjoy.

Here's what I picked up kind of a sore to look at, but progress is a slow process. Headlights and hood are for sale, pm me for details.

bone stock engine bay

Hate the hood, but hopefully I will have a kouki hood next week

Bought these from NISMO two months before I actually had this car BC coilovers (br series). Absolutely loves these coils, great handling without harsh bumpy ride.

replaced old gauges with these zenki white face guages

stock interior, very clean

Tucked harness, not sure if I did this right but I haven't had any problems out of it.

See less See more
#229 ·
I'm one step closer to having the sr20 running, after installing my wiring specialties engine harness I kept having problems with it blowing a 100 amp fuse in the fuse box when I connected the battery. I found that there was a small black plastic piece on the alternator that was broken allowing the metal terminal to contact the alternator itself. I replaced the plastic cover, hooked up the battery and let here be light. I was pretty excited to see the clock in the cluster on for the first time in almost two years, I was even happy to hear that annoying door chime! Now its time to buy all the fluids I need, spark plugs and set the cam angle sensor. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here and it starts on the first try but we'll see about that.

#231 ·
Keep it up man!

If I can get this damn '57 Chevy out of my workshop/garage I could get my 240 in there finally and pull the engine. Got all the stuff waiting for me to rebuild it and get rolling again.

#232 ·
I've finished routing the last of the fuel, coolant and vacuum lines and wow what a learning experience is all I can say. Now its time for the real learning (aka frustration) to begin lol. I tried cranking the engine for the first time to build oil pressure and got nothing. Its not making any spark or getting fuel. So that's where I'm at now, I'm going to start trouble shooting the spark issue first. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome!

#234 ·
I was able to get the car to crank over! I have to admit, I was pretty excited to hear it crank for the first time and even more excited that it didn't blow up (not yet at least). I unplugged the HKS turbo timer and reconnected the factory harness. I cranked it a few times to build some oil pressure, now I just need to install my spark plugs and try to start it. I'm getting closer to finally being able to drive it, I can not wait!

#238 ·
That's good Brandon, but no mine is still not running. It was cranking strong but wouldn't fire up, I wanted to double check the timing chain just so I could rule that out. While taking off the oil pump it cracked so that set me back. At least I know that the timing is set perfect, just need to buy a new oil pump.

#239 · (Edited)
Are you getting fuel or spark? And soory to hear about the oil pump.

I keep having small setbacks. I had my electric fan ate my radiator first day out. Day 2 the drain plug on the aftermarket Freddy oil pan backed out, I noticed it really fast and spilled nearly 3 quarts of oil on the ground of the gas station I was parked. Day 3 the shitty autozone slave cylinder blew out with less than 3k miles of use, replaced with a Nabco slave. I couldn't justify $250 plus shipping for a new Nismo Slave when it is a 1.25mm difference in diameter. Day 4 the CD player I have had for the past 15 years said "No I like this CD, I will never give it back or allow you to change it" I replace the CD player with a newer one that is about a year old and hooks up to a USB so now I don't have to carry a bunch of CD's with me any more. And it has room to expand with a backup camera, blue tooth compatibility with my phone if I hook up a mic to it, and some other features. And yesterday a heater hose under the intake manifold decided to start leaking. Then there is a small list of other little things I need to do that are not pressing but I want to get them done.

But on a good note I put in a back seat, and seat belt so my youngest son Kael can ride. His first ride was as expected, he was all smiles till the boost kicked in then he was nervous. After a while he was getting use to it.

#240 ·
That's cool Brandon, eventually you'll get all the small things fixed and have a perfect daily driver. On a good note my oil pump finally came in, I was able to find a used one on Zilvia so I want to replace the front main seal. After doing some research Ive found that the s14/ 15 oil pick up tube is more effecent than the s13, so that's next on my list of ways to waste money.

I was bored so I decided to do something different with my valve cover so this happened.

Just a picture of the sr20 timing if anyone is the interested.

a few of the local kids helping me wash my car.

Well that's it for now but hopefully more updates to come

#241 ·
Well the sr20 is cranking over strong but wont start, urrgg what could the issue be? I spent hours researching frequently asked questions on common start issues. I was getting spark and fuel, I tested the cam angle sensor and it seems to be working. I had a feeling that the timing had to be off so I decieded to take it all apart and re- do it. I had everything all back together so I turn the engine over by hand and CRUNCH, uhhh what the heck could that be? Upon further inspection I fould that the crank timing gear was murdered. I guess the timing chain slipped off and I destroyed the gear while rotating the engine. You live and you learn I guess, I had to take the head and the front cover back off again. I worked at Nissan so getting another crank gear wasn't a problem, only cost about $6 and had it the next day!

I got the new front cover cleaned and painted, installed the new front oil seal then insalled oil pump/ front cover

The new timing crank gear over night shipped from Japan!

I've had this sr apart and assembled so many times I could probably do it blind folded lol. With the timing set and eveything back together again it was time to try it again. I crossed my fingers, inserted the key, dumped the clutch and bam IT LIVES! Finally I was able to get it to run, I dont have any kids (none that I know of at least lol) but I'd assume that this over whelming sense of joy is what it would be like to watch my first kid being born. There are a few more things that need to be done before I can drive it but this is a step in the right direction!

I was able to figure out how to utilize my fog lights with the fmic so I am pretty happy about that.

Well thats it for now Hopefully more updates to come!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.