502 Street Scene Forums banner

Guide to buying a used honda

22K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Guido492 
#1 ·
Lately, i've seen a number of people getting ripped off buying hondas and I just wanted to do a little writeup to help people and to use it to see what to look for.

First, I myself was completely hosed when i bought my hatch, i bought it off a guy on ebay, had him end an auction early to get it, i called him and he seemed knowledgable. Mistake number 1, if someone seems very knowledgable about a car, test them on it, most often it is a fake thing, so that you will trust them more instead of using natural insticts to check and recheck everything. the car did have most of what it said it did, b18c1, ITR conversion, but it had some good damage that was hidden to me, after replacing the core support and then stripping the car to its shell and then getting an entire new cabin wiring harness, the car runs perfectly. I even did some of my own tests, i ensured the ecu was the correct one, but never thought to see if in fact it was a OBD1 ecu, yep that's right, I had a obd2 ecu in a obd1 car, running an obd1 motor, talk about cluster of wires.

Anyways, on topic:

before starting car, underhood inspection
1. check oil, coolant in radiator and in overflow bottle.
--two purposes, if blown headgasket, you will see the two mix, you also can see the quality of the oil, IE if its been changed in the last year

2. if a b-series, check around cam seals for leaks, b-series are notorious for developing leaks around the cam seals, Note cam seals are located on the passenger side by distributor and vtec selenoid (if present). Next look for oil on the tranny where the head and block meet, another indication of something gone wrong.

3. Look for leaks around the lines, check radiator upper and lower, and on the back side of the block by thermostat housing, check where the heater hose lines go into the cabin. Check PS lines around resevoir. Look at the brake master cylinder/booster, big black round thing on firewall, see if there is any white build up or chipping paint. If the paint on the booster is chipping off, then this means brake fluid is starting to leak.

4. check vacuum lines, look around the intake manifold at the vacuum lines are there any blocked off? any cracked, since some cars are getting 15+yrs old, this happens.

5. if car has over 90k inquire 2-3 times about when the timing belt was changed, if they are vague get it change immediately, along with water pump, tensioner.

6. Pull the plugs, check for the color, if there is any oil on them, run away unless you are doing a motorswap soon. they should be a nice brown color, white indicates lean condition, black is rich.

7. check air filter if its not a CAI.

inside car

1. place key in ignition, turn to on, do not start, you should hear the fuel pump prime (humming for 1-2 sec). you should also see the CEL flash on, then turn off if there are not CEL(check engine light) codes. If it doesn't light up, the bulb has been removed, replace or leave.

2. check ecu, its normally located passenger side kick panel, if you open the panel and the ecu is bolted down, then most likely it hasn't been touched. but its something I look at since with swapped hondas you get poeple that don't use the right ECU. also make sure its the correct generation, as you could be like me and get a obd2 wired up ecu in a obd1 car. OBD1=92-95, 96+ obd2, before 92 is OBD0.

3. check in passenger side for any coolant leaks, this is the heater core if anythign is busted you shoudl be able to see it.

4. start car, make sure oil pressure light comes on and cuts off immediately. check idle, if its a cold start, should be around 1500rpm until the coolant gauge rises. should settle around 700 at idle once warm.

other things

1. open up the trunk, hatch, whatever and look for any water in the sparetire well.

2. check all 4 tires for the tire ware, this is a big issue to see if its been wrecked or just never aligned.

3. push on the car, IE push on rear bumper towards ground to see if the rear shocks are gone, push side to side,, you shouldn't be able to move it that far.

test drive

while you don't have to do the drive yourslef, you can just ride along.
1. go through all gears, including reverse, when you pull out of the parking spot, look for any oil deposits on the ground, do a visual inspection under the car for anything leaking when car is on.

2. go over some bumps, you want to see if the car can hang together, a speed bump is a good way to test. go around some corners at more than 5mph.

3. keep the stereo off once you tested it, you need to be listening to engine noises and other noises. Test heat and AC at full blast.

4. make sure to feel the steering wheel if not driving to see how it shakes, also get a feel of the clutch/brake/gas pedal to make sure in proper order.

5. when done, check oil and look underhood for any new leaks or anything.

if satisfied, purchase car.

See less See more
#5 ·
good stuff.. and goes for just about any car your looking to buy. hell before I bought mine I did a full compression check and everything else :bigthumb:

also soe things to think about if you are buyin on a budget..

1.how old is the battery
2.make sure the headlights, tunsignals, horn, cruise, wipers, squirters, hazards, etc... work.
3. If you drive the car and its a stick, see where the clutch releases. if it releases really close to the top it could have a worn clutch OR be out of adjustment.
4. If it is a automatic take not to how long it takes to engage into gear after moving the lever, or how it shifts (pause between gears, or real jerky, or nice & smooth)

#8 ·
EtownGuy said:
good stuff.. and goes for just about any car your looking to buy. hell before I bought mine I did a full compression check and everything else :bigthumb:

also soe things to think about if you are buyin on a budget..

1.how old is the battery
2.make sure the headlights, tunsignals, horn, cruise, wipers, squirters, hazards, etc... work.
3. If you drive the car and its a stick, see where the clutch releases. if it releases really close to the top it could have a worn clutch OR be out of adjustment.
4. If it is a automatic take not to how long it takes to engage into gear after moving the lever, or how it shifts (pause between gears, or real jerky, or nice & smooth)
I dont think that Honda was ever accused of having the smoothest shifting auto tranny. Out of all of them i have ever driven, the shifts are strange and firm.

#18 ·
oh one more thing ive done approx 10 or so honda swaps. check the motor mounts rev it up while looking at motor if shakes bad replace them soon and the most important check the wiring. most splice the wires just twist them and not protect them 1 or 2 is normal. for a swap as long as there rapped up good and water proof. like they said timing belt is a must hondas are non tolerance motor. dont guess or play just replace even if they says its new i have seen new belts snap it happens. that y warrentys are great a do it your self wont save you if it snaps and you need a new motor

#20 ·
Bought a 97 EX coupe last night....found this thread today. F***! Did an oil change, radiator flush and fill when we got it home. It's for my daughter so I'm not too worried about it. But here's what I found.... oil is leaking on the passenger side down the front of the motor. Can't pinpoint where it's coming from as I don't have a lift and cant get under it to give it a good look. Coolant was fine though, just low. I don't think the girl ever checked the oil becuase when I drained it I only got about a quart out of it. But the tranny shifts like a typical honda and the motor is strong. This is a great checklist to go by though. Wish I had seen it before buying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.