502 Street Scene Forums banner

Attention - Password and Security Update

17K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

See less See more
#9 ·
If you are worried about the new password requirements, a good piece of advice is to use a phrase instead of a word with the extra requirements just tagged on. Much easier to remember that way.

Example: Fluffy+502=win

Hits all the requirements and will stick in my head.

Kevin

#27 · (Edited)
Regulator, he could stir the pot and get people to come back. He did help keep the forum flowing at times and iirc he brought a lot of life to one of those other 502 spin off sites when he got perma-banned for like a year for whatever the hell he did back during the lobby days. I haven't the slightest idea if he even still resides around here or why he disappeared. He probably just got bored with screwing with all of us and is out there in a close to thousand HP mustang and owns some reputable performance shop we all go to or talk highly about :blink::loco::blink:

#29 ·
The sites design is dated and it would be more appealing if the appearance was better. The real reason the site is dying is two fold. Social media has caused a decline in all forum usage. 502SS doesn't have an active Facebook group or a social media presence in general. Having an active moderator create topics for discussion on the site and elsewhere would help.

On another note. 502 used to be popular because of it's engagement with the user base. We used to have car meets, cookouts, merchandise, ect. Having events where people can meet each other, buy T-shirts, decals, talk shop, and what not will help spread word of the site and the community. 502ss needs a strong community to survive. If you read through the "Classics" you'll see a lot of inside jokes, pictures from meets, community engagement, and all that.
Just my:twocents:

#30 ·
Thank you for that - so we can make the site look more visually appealing and perhaps have a Facebook fan page? Were there any other suggestions in terms of getting this site on the social media train? Let us know :)

As for the lack of moderators on the site, we're always seeking out members who would be interested in becoming a site mod. If this is something that would interest you, shoot us a PM and we'll go from there.

The community is more than welcome to arrange events for car meets/cookouts and other social gatherings. This isn't something the admins set up for you guys but if you wish to have merchandise for these events, then we do get involved for that. If the site doesn't have a store, then we'll need at least a couple months in advance to get something ready for you (stickers, decals, t-shirts, etc.) for these events.

Keep the suggestions coming so we can bring the site back to what it once was, if not better!

Cheers,
Natalie

#31 ·
If you want to jump on the social media train, you should also create an instagram and/or Twitter. Basically all of the "standard" media platforms should be utilized. Facebook to keep members aware of events, Twitter to link said events, and Instagram to post photos from said events. And not just 502 hosted events, have a presence as the big car shows throughout the year.

I will gladly be a site mod, it's the one 502ss achievement I've yet to unlock.

#32 ·
Hey guys,

I'm not too sure about Twitter or instagram, but a fAcebook fan page could be made for the site if there is enough interest.
Someone would have to volunteer to moderate the facebook fanpage.

Now as for other suggestions on how to bring more folks and traffic on the site.
What about setting up some sort of monthly contest where members show off their rides/mods and the Mod team can pick a winner. Or a vote can be made. At the end of the month, the winner can get their ride plastered on the front page for the month.

Regarding the overhaul idea, this is something that can be done.
We would give it a toucan upgrade similar to this site:
http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/

Any more input or ideas guys? This thread has been kind of dead.

Richard.

#34 ·
I don't believe that is going to happen.
So with that said, let's put our rakes and pitchforks to good use, and work together to create a better landscape for current and new members on the site.

What kind of suggestions do you guys have in mind?
Any input on my suggestions in my previous post?

Richard.

#37 ·
Selling to site to one of us is the only key to success for the forum. Since it's users are local to the area and have better potential of getting the forums word out.

Instead of using useless and pointless admins.

#38 ·
The admins are trying to get local moderators, which would be just as effective. They have no plans to sell, so get over it and try to actually help. Right now you're doing nothing at all.

#39 ·
It's like local small business that sells out to globalcom corporate overlords. They don't actually give a fuck all as long as some amount of profit is continually made. They have no true interest in the local happenings or events that matter to the members. Hell, they don't even live in Louisville do they?

If you don't want to get involved in social media, then the site will die. That's where everything has moved to these days, and why FB left you all in the dust. How else do you expect to advertise the site and get people to leave other platforms to come here? What content are you planning to provide that isn't currently available?

#40 ·
As Richard, Niall, and Oldschool mentioned, there is no plans to sell the site, so that option is out.

As for the site itself, we work with the moderators and community closely to work out and solve any issues on the boards that someone comes forward with. We also take consideration into any suggestions members may have that would benefit the site, which are then run by the mod staff so we can discuss and look into.

Richard also suggested the Facebook page options, as well as possible contests and site upgrades, so that can be looked into as well if the community wants to go ahead with it.

If you have any other suggestions, please bring them forward so we can look into it.

- JB

#41 ·
Then what is the point of the forum if you move in FB? Hell at least with IG you can do a featured car or something but that is it.

Only good thing with FB would be to share event info but IG would do just fine with that too.

And since when do you all work with moderators and the "community"? As far as I know it is the users like us that get the word out which it is best to hand the site to a select few are involved in the local community.

So as far as your comment goes "JB, Richard, and Niall" you are all full of shit.

#42 ·
Hey guys,

I think you have been misunderstanding not only what we have been saying, but our mission with this site. We want nothing more than for this community to thrive. We want to work with the Community and Mod team to build a better site and lively community. We can only work with the community if the community is open to our help.

We are not moving the site to FB at all. I was referring to creating an FB Fan page to bring in more members on the site.
I threw the suggestion out there if you guys are not okay with it feel free to give us your opinions on why you believe this is not a good idea.
We would use it as another platform to bring more people in.

Clearly, you are passionate about the site, so let's talk about ideas to bring people in. Let's work together to get the blood flowing through the site.

Richard.

#43 ·
Sorry to be a negative Nancy but a vast majority of the folks who kept this site thriving in the past have moved on. They were for the most part a large group of friends and outliers that were younger and heavily involved in the car scene, meets etc. Now, I just logged back in for the first time in 3 weeks and there were around 12 new posts. In years past I would've spent hours trying to catch up and I would still be behind. This was the place to go when you got home after work or after hanging out late in the night. This is where stories were told and members could interact with one another and bullshit to no end.

I agree Facebook is partly to blame but this site is like chat rooms and ICQ and MySpace. Sure you can still use them but most people prefer the newer platforms.

I guess I come back sporadically hoping something will have changed but the golden years are long gone. No more Maiden. No more of Joey's stories. No more Miss Nopi Chick.

There hasn't been a classic section worthy post since 2012. 2012!

As fas as suggestions go, I have none.

#44 ·
We're sorry to hear that, B-Town EVO. 5 years it's been since the last classic section worthy post... that's a while. Unfortunately, with the rise of social media it's hard to compete but that's not to say the site and forums in general have become obsolete - not at all. That's why Richard suggested above perhaps creating a Facebook Fan Page for this site might help bring old members back and/or attract new blood.

If anyone else has any ideas or feedback on how to popularize the site again, we welcome those and would love to see the community and the site flourish again.

Cheers,
Natalie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.