502 Street Scene Forums banner

New Stuff!

28K views 45 replies 8 participants last post by  99ebpsi 
#1 ·
Got some new things up on the site tonight, Proraso Alum Sticks (http://eliteedgeshaving.com/RazoRock-Alum-Stick) and Proraso Blue Shaving cream (http://eliteedgeshaving.com/Shaving-Cream/Proraso-Blue-Shaving-Cream).

Alum should be in EVERY guys post shave regimen. It is a mild astringent, so it will sterilize and clean razor burn and nicks. It is also an excellent face cleaner, and if used after every shower, can reduce or eliminate acne. This jack of all trades can also be used as a deodorant, for those with sensitive skin, or skin allergies.

The proraso blue is the newcomer to the proraso line of creams, and is geared toward those with dry or sensative skin. The cream's scent is very aloe, and the vitamin E will help soothe and condition skin. All of the proraso creams are extremely easy to lather, and great choices for those just getting into wetshaving.

I also have Proraso green and red creams to get up on the site, though I don't know if I will get all that done tonight. If you all have any questions, feel free to ask!

-Kyle

See less See more
#2 ·
Got the other two Proraso Creams up on the site as well!

Proraso Green (http://eliteedgeshaving.com/Proraso-Green-Shaving-Cream)

Proraso Green is an excellent choice for beginners. Its scent really reminds me of what I imagine an old school italian barbershop to smell like. The menthol adds a really nice cooling effect, which is excellent on warm summer mornings.

Proraso Red (http://eliteedgeshaving.com/Proraso-Red-Shaving-Cream

Proraso Red is another easy lathering shaving cream by Proraso. The sandalwood scent is very mature and distinguished, and will remind you of your father/grandfather. Great scent for a dinner date.

#4 ·
I'm working on getting a shipment of Omega Boar and Badger brushes right now, but they ship straight from Italy so it will probably be a while before I see them, if you have any special requests let me know and I will get them on the order though! The only thing I can get that is close to a straight is the line of Feather shavettes. If you're interested in one of those let me know and I can get it special ordered.

And yes, I still have plenty to add, so check back! I have Gilette cream, Palmolive creams (regular and menthol), and some RazoRock creams and shave gels to add.

#5 ·
RazoRock's Santa Maria shaving cream is up on the site today (http://eliteedgeshaving.com/RazoRock-Santa-Maria-Shaving-Cream)

If you guys have tried Proraso Green and love the scent, this one takes it to the next level. The scent of Santa Maria is very potent and invigorating. Being a cream, it will also be easier to lather well.

Remember, 502 gets 15% off all RazoRock products for the month of October, make sure to use the code "502ss15off" during checkout!

#6 ·
As a guy that buys razors from Walmart and uses regular shaving cream. And knowing nothing about anything you have posted. What the advantages of shaving with these type razors and products?

#9 ·
No problem, we are working on becoming a dealer for Merkur DE razors, and DOVO straights right now, and I put in the order for a ton of Omega brushes yesterday, so we should be fully stocked in a month or so, just in time for Christmas! Thanks!

Kyle

#20 · (Edited)
For the bare minimum, you will need:

A double edge razor - We have 11 Different Merkur razors in stock ( 34c, 37c, 1906 straight bar, 1606 open comb, 23c, 38, 38 Matte (my favorite), Bakelite, Progress Adjustable (long and short handles), and 15c). This is what clamps down and holds the blade, and provides you something to hold onto. Merkur razors are German made and are a great value.

Blades - We carry 14 different razor blades. There is no "one size fits all" with blades. What works well for one person might not necessarily work well for another. I DEFINITELY recommend getting at least 5-6 different brands and seeing what you like best. All this being said, Feather Blades tend to be the sharpest, most aggressive, and most highly recommended from what I see. I would not start with feather blades though, try others then work up to them once you have a few shaves under your belt.

A brush - we currently have colonel conk's boar brush in stock, you use the brush to lather up the soap/cream, and apply it to your face. The brush can be either boar, badger, or synthetic hair. A good boar hair brush is more than enough for the beginner. Scrubbing the lather onto your beard acts as an exfoliator, helping to loosen and remove dead skin and any remaining dirt, which is another reason why double edge shaving can really improve your skin quality.

Soap/Cream - This is another one that is very dependent from person to person. Either one will perform better than any canned shave cream (in my experience). I tend to prefer soaps, they seem to last longer, and provide more slip/glide, so I feel they are the best bang for the buck. Any of the razorock soaps are SUPER quality and very beginner friendly (plus they are all 15% off through Oct with 502ss15off coupon code). Soak your brush in hot water while you shower, then shake some of the water out and swirl the brush on the surface of the soap until you start to see dense lather form. You can transfer to a bowl to continue building lather, or you can take the soap straight to your face and scrub it on your beard to build lather.

Alum - after you finish the shave (it will take 2-3 passes typically), rinse all of the lather off of your face and wet your alum stick. Rub the stick all over your face. This will clean and disinfect your skin, and will help stop bleeding on any nicks. It will soothe skin and reduce razor bumps and irritation. It will also provide feedback on what you did right and wrong with your shave, it will show you areas that you applied too much pressure to (it will sting a little). This is the best stuff going, and it is SUPER CHEAP. One stick lasts about 3-4 months.

Aftershave - Some are alcohol based, some are more of a balm or lotion. I prefer the balms/lotions, they seem to offer a better moisturization. They also tend to offer some sort of sun protectant. Alcohol based aftershaves are a good choice for oily skin.

Hope that helps, I tried to cover just the basics on all of the stuff above. If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction! If you're interested I can put together a beginner package for you, I am also able to meet in the Louisville/Taylorsville area if you prefer a face to face transaction.

#26 · (Edited)
Now that Christmas has passed, we had time to take a bunch of pictures today, so expect to see around 15 new items added to the store over the next few days! Tonight I got another set of blades added - Astra Platinums. These are EXTREMELY popular due to their good performance at a very reasonable price.

Astra Platinum Razor Blades

Also got the Gillette Yellow Sharp Edge blades up on the site. This is an all stainless, non-plated blade.

Gillette Yellow Sharp Edge Razor Blades

#30 ·
#1: get an alum stick, use it after you rinse off your shaving soap/cream. All you do it wet your face, and the stick, and rub it all over the area you just shaved. It is the single best thing to help with irritation. It acts as a mild astringent, which helps tiny nicks heal faster, and sterilizes you skin as well, which prevents infection. And they're cheap, only 6 bucks.

#2: Switch to a quality shave soap. Almost every soap/cream we carry is made of all natural ingredients. These higher quality products generally give you a slicker shave with more cushion, which reduces skin irritation. And since the ingredients are all natural, you lower your chance for chemical irritation and allergic reactions.

#3: Get a double edge razor. With a multi-blade cartridge, you can (and very frequently do) cut your whiskers below skin level. This is what causes ingrown hairs. As the hair grows and goes to push back through the top layer of skin, it can get caught/trapped under the skin. As it grows under the skin, it gets infected.

Applying your soap/cream with a shaving brush will also help, as the brush will exfoliate the skin and remove dirt and contaminants during the shave.

I have a ton of products that are great for people with sensitive skin, shoot me a pm if you'd like me to put together a kit to help you out!

#35 ·
Gillette Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream

This stuff is pretty cool. Its made to be sold in Europe and the middle east, there is almost no english on the packaging. I also think it is interesting that a product made by a multi billion dollar company still uses all natural ingredients. The scent is a light and fresh soapy smell, with just a hint of aloe.

Gillette Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.