Saturn Sl1 dohc performance - 502StreetScene
Forum Garage

Remember Me?
Go Back   502StreetScene > Automotive & Motorsports > Specific Automotive Tech & DIY > Other

Old 12-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #1
Accordkidd
Rusted hood FTL

Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd
Send a message via AIM to Accordkidd
Saturn Sl1 dohc performance
Is there anything like a head swap or engine swap i could do on my saturn Sl1??? it's a 94 DOHC. please tell me there's something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator View Post
Why don't you say it to my face, I kill in these streets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCivic View Post
Don't be a bitch. Eat the chicken.
Accordkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
MythSC2
BANNED

MythSC2
Send a message via AIM to MythSC2
u mean SL2, SL1's are SOHC...if its a SOHC swap to a 98 DOHC, if its a 94 DOHC then u really want to do the same engine swap I did and then either boost it or go NOS. I have all the info on both projects just let me know. There are a toooooonnnn of parts for saturns you just have to know where to look.

B18A1freeek: Dude whyd u put so much money into a saturn?
BigBenConver: because when the underdog wins its called an upset!
B18A1freeek: ROFL
BigBenConver: btw I'd pull
B18A1freeek: yeah the truth hurts lol

Benjamin Conver (Myth)
Myth Concepts LLC 2005

www.mythconcepts.com
www.myspace.com/mythconcepts
www.slimivoryonline.net/finalmyth.html <----new web page!!!
MythSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #3
Accordkidd
Rusted hood FTL

Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd Accordkidd
what's the power and torque on those 98 dohc motors? and do they mount right up?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:50 AM   #4
MythSC2
BANNED

MythSC2
Couldnt tell u the exact numbers cuz I havent dynoed yet, but the 98 head is the largest port head for the S series, and yes a 98 head will bolt right up to a 94 block, but if I were
you I'd just go all out and do the 00 SOHC block with 98 DOHC head, that match up is estimated at 150chp
Old 12-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
4gotn1
its a corolla. its slow.

4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1
Send a message via AIM to 4gotn1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythSC2
Couldnt tell u the exact numbers cuz I havent dynoed yet, but the 98 head is the largest port head for the S series, and yes a 98 head will bolt right up to a 94 block, but if I were
you I'd just go all out and do the 00 SOHC block with 98 DOHC head, that match up is estimated at 150chp
if you plan on staying n/a then go with the 95-98 crank, if your going to boost then use a 00+ up sohc bottom end. there just much more well designed and a bit more durable than the dohc of the same years. no matter what a 98 head is a must. as ben said it has the largest ports of all the saturn s series. 92 factory header is the highest flowing even over most of the aftermarket. use dual 98 intake cams, a geo gsi throttle body, 3in diameter intake. smaller intakes quickly become a restriction on thise engines. try to use the pre obd2 ecu for as long as possiable, because it allows for such upgrades as the msd dis-2 box and msd coils without much of a headache. another route would be to go the megasquirt route like ben has, and set it up for fuel and spark.

you should just come see the saturn some day, and we can discuss this more then.

99 Toyota Corolla - VVTi swapped 1zzfe, H/I/E, 4.529 C60, LSD, Koni's, Ground Controls, TRD Supercharger, Apexi PFC, FC-Hako, Devils Own W/M Injection, 2zz 310's, 7psi (for now)... SLOW
91 Mazda Miata - Flaming Pile
4gotn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
MythSC2
BANNED

MythSC2
the 95-98 crank is lighter and will rev faster but like sam said is not nearly as durable as the 00 crank, so I wouldnt even risk it and just do the 00 crank and bottom end.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 AM   #7
Accordkidd
Rusted hood FTL

I plan on going N/A for sure. I know Chp on the early dohc's is 127. what can i expect- if the motor is healthy, to gain from that 98 dohc head?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
Accordkidd
Rusted hood FTL

Hell I'm too lazy to edit that one- Also, how hard is it to change the head and timing chain on those things?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
MythSC2
BANNED

MythSC2
its not hard at all, they have timming marks on the gears and the head u just put an allan <----spellling ??? wrench in and set it. the head alone ur not goin to see a huge gain in power but if u cam it with the same cams I have u can expect some nice numbers but u will also have to invest in some sort of fuel managment and ignition. They claim that the stock ignition is good for 300hp but thats a load of crap Ive seen dyno results that show u have to upgrade at least the wires in order to see any gains from anything over intake, header and exhaust. For wires you really want Vitek they out perform which Im sure this will start and arguememt but they out perform nology and have a higher heat resistance than most other brands. back to the motor though the 00 bottom end has longer rods a stronger crank and gurdle and the SOHC which you can pick up on ebay for around 350 has better pistons. As for NA I have a huge mod list so you should really come see my setup and see for yourself.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
4gotn1
its a corolla. its slow.

4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1 4gotn1
Send a message via AIM to 4gotn1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordkidd
Hell I'm too lazy to edit that one- Also, how hard is it to change the head and timing chain on those things?

well if your mechanicly inclinded then it shouldnt be much of a problem. if not well then seek help.
4gotn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
imprtfightr01
Ghost Ridin The Whip

imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01 imprtfightr01
Send a message via AIM to imprtfightr01
here is his mod list.....

engine:
00 sohc block (longer rods stronger fully counter balanced crank, stronger gurdle)
98 DOHC head (largest port head available)
dual 98 intake cams (soon to be replaced by SDA power cams)

exhaust:
4-2-1 OEM header
2.5 mandrel bent exhaust with no cat

Intake:
56mm geo strom GSI TB
3inch custom intake

Drivetrain:
7lb fidanza flywheel
spec stage 3 clutch
torque motor mounts crane, tranny, and engine

Suspension:
Coil overs
KYB GR-2's
SPS polyurethane bushings
Ractive strut tower brace

Ignition:
MSD coils
Vitek Wires
NGK plugs
MSD DIS-2 (soon to be installed)

others:
Ground kit
80 wet shot of nitrous
walbro 255
Mega Squirt stand alone
Unorthadox under drive

then some other minor things that prolly only add little power.
imprtfightr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #12
Accordkidd
Rusted hood FTL

When i call a junkyard, what should I ask for "A head for a 98 saturn ?????" Also, i have a chance to get this car for 250, Just has bent valves. everything else on it is great. honestly, in insurance( I have a clean record with not even a ticket) Gas, and money is it worth it? Even if I don't build up on it?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #13
SaturnAutoX
Professional Dad

SaturnAutoX
The 99+ rods and pistons are a must. The 99+ crank has 8 counterweights as opposed to 4 on the prior years. It smoother, but is is possible to squeeze a couple of HP out of the lighter one. Also, use 1993 valves. They were flat as opposed to concave. They give .5 increase in compression, provided your going NA. The 98 head is the way to go. 1999 fuel rail got an increase in pressure (kpa), so use it. The 91-92 stock exhaust manifold is actually a true header. The aftermarket guys modeled theirs after it. It will bolt onto a head up to 98, but not 99+. A crank pully from a SOHC is supposed to be lighter, but I haven't compared yet myself. Kind of a stock underdrive. It's possible to match all stock Saturn parts from 124 HP engines and get 145-150 by mixing the parts correctly. Also, building it properly and with care helps to. Then if you go with the K&N and Cat Back, you should be looking good. What's nicer than the HP is the Torque that comes with it. That's what you feel with the butt dyno anyway.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 AM   #14
MythSC2
BANNED

MythSC2
I'd forgotten about the valves he is correct, u can also if u dont want to spend the money on cams run 2 98 intake cams and gain a few ponys I have a extra set I can give u theres no point in me selling it I'd give it to a fellow saturn modder. Also the GEO storm GSI throttle body is a must it has a 56mm plate as opposed to our stock 52mm one. It doesnt sound like much but u can feel it in the higher rpms.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #15
Accordkidd
Rusted hood FTL

Well the saturn I'm getting needs a new head so i could probably get another intake cam off one in the junkyard. Is the Geo storm gsi the only TB that would fit a saturn? thanks guys